I used some 85w140 on my garage door opener...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lubed the chain and rollers lightly with some M-1 85w140 I have had laying around in my "orphan shelf" of half full containers. Now my garage stinks like sulfur....
eek.gif

How many decades until the smell subsides? BTW on the up side....the doors are really quiet now.

Last edited:
my guess is that the smell will not subside until you clean it off and re-lube with something else. just a guess, of course.

A little common sense would tell you that gear oil is about the last thing you want to use on a garage door. Lithium grease for the hinges and rollers, and the chain should only be cleaned. The only place around the chain that should be lubricated is the top of the rail where the trolley rides.

It should be interesting when that gear oil gets pulled into the motor and all over the sprocket, and then dust and dirt begin to accumulate. Not to mention the stench of gear oil.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
3 in 1 garage door lube is a good spray made to minimize drips ...

+1! Excellent stuff; I use it on the chain along with the door track and rollers.

Over the years, I've had different Door Openers;
*) Chain
*) Worm Screw
*) Nylon Belt
They all last just so many years, because each has certain parts that wear out.

Finally, I found a good type.
NO Chain .... NO Screw .... NO Belt .... Whaaat ? ? ?
If your door has the Coil Springs (@ top of door) going thru a metal pipe, the best Opener is:

https://www.amazon.com/Liftmaster-8500-Mount-Garage-Opener/dp/B00BS28SP8

It attaches directly to the metal pipe.
Only had it for 2 years, but very happy.

Last edited:
I upgraded to nylon wheels on my garage door from the steel ones, and the garage operates very quiet, and smooth opening and closing.

Gear oil is not the thing to put on there. I use the garage door lube from home depot.

How much gear oil is dripping all over your car dude?

I used left over Synpower 75w140 on my garage door springs when I replaced them. Now, I have a weak nose but really didn't find the odor too over powering. Certainly not as bad as leaving an open container of used gear oil in the garage for a week!

That, the wife did NOT like.

My garage door opener is a Sears from the early 1960's....original to the house and still working fine. Not a single component has ever been replaced. Old fashioned technology still works....and lasts.

Originally Posted By: Doog
I lubed the chain and rollers lightly with some M-1 85w140 I have had laying around in my "orphan shelf" of half full containers. Now my garage stinks like sulfur....
eek.gif

How many decades until the smell subsides? BTW on the up side....the doors are really quiet now.

This sounds like something I would do. It's too bad you can't just use oil to lube various things, nope you have to buy 15 different types of lube for each thing.

Originally Posted By: buck91
I used left over Synpower 75w140 on my garage door springs when I replaced them. Now, I have a weak nose but really didn't find the odor too over powering. Certainly not as bad as leaving an open container of used gear oil in the garage for a week!

Sulpher is the main ingredient in gear oil usually

Originally Posted By: Doog
eek.gif

Depends on the TBN retention in the garage door environment.
grin.gif

It's a garage, now it smells like one.

I'd think if you took down the chains and hosed off with brake cleaner or the like, then oiled with the right stuff (bike chain lube? motorcycle chain lube?) would be needed. Could try to hose down in place, if need be.

Originally Posted By: Delta
Originally Posted By: 4WD
3 in 1 garage door lube is a good spray made to minimize drips ...

+1! Excellent stuff; I use it on the chain along with the door track and rollers.

+2 I don't even like working on gear oil in diffs because of the smell. I would never use it for anything else. you're best bet is to try and clean it off and air it out as best you can.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted By: buck91

Sulpher is the main ingredient in gear oil usually

I have found the synthetics (and have never seen non-synthetic 75W-140) have a much less-notable odor than regular gear oil.

I've got the loudest garage door I've ever had.

It's a metal door and only a year old.

I have sprayed EVERY hinge, roller, basically anything that moves with white lithium grease and still lots of noise

What can I use to make this quiet???

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Insulate it with foam board...your door is essentially a giant drum!

Careful, adding any weight to a Garage Door could throw-off the BALANCE.
Causing the Door OPENER to work harder.

Last edited:
Had that foam foil stuff on mine for a decade ... Did when putting a small gas heater out there - but it does quiet down the sound attenuation - not as good as mass loading would - but the tube style adhesive coupled well ...

I had an insulated Wayne Dalton 'Idrive' torsion spring door and opener installed about 15 years ago to replace the old Crafstman chain drive. Quiet as a mouse, though I do spray a little Dupont Teflon on the rollers every couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back