Advice on Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
The decision to change the alternator was taken on the basis that the alternator was bad and needed to be changed.

If you and the customer still believe the alternator was bad, then it is indeed a valid charge.

I would get it tested a couple more times and if the results are that it was right to change it, then you can go back and tell her that it needed to be changed anyway otherwise she would have become stranded at any moment.

Then tell her you changed the transmission fluid to try and fix the noise but it didn't work and you didn't ask so you're not charging her.

On the other hand, if you believe she won't be reasonable to your alternator explanation and your friendship means more to you, then don't explain anything and just tell her it was your mistake so you're not charging her.

I think you should have put the old alternator back in and returned the new one once you saw the noise wasn't coming from the alternator.

AutoZone and O'Reillys tested my alternator on my Camry a couple months ago and said it was bad. I decided to leave it on, it's been thousands of miles and so far no problems. I don't trust those scanners.

I also had AAP test an alternator last summer and their testing indicated excessive ripple.
The alternator seemed just fine for thousands more miles until one day it wasn't.
An alternator may give early signs of failure and it might be wise to heed them unless you want to get stranded one day, which will inevitably happen at the least convenient possible time in the worst possible location.

Thanks for the feedback. I was fully expecting to eat this one and the lesson learned was to not become involved unless you personally diagnosed/verified the complaint.

In summary, the owner offered to pay for the alternator. But out of goodwill, I did an oil change with synthetic oil, a brake fluid flush and a full transmission flush with Genuine Toyota T-IV....so I think it was a reasonable outcome for all parties.

They got a bargain of a deal.

Another lesson learned right here: when you ask for an advice, 1 time out of 20 you will get a constructive approach in response, the rest will be judgement from folks, some haven't even read the initial post.

You did good and you can sleep good.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
You did good and you can sleep good.
thumbsup2.gif

Agreed. The owner is fortunate to have a good friend like The Critic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back