Metlife Auto Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any experience with their auto insurance? The company I work for has some discount with them. Anyways if I sign up with metlife auto, they'll auto deduct from my paycheck. I don't feel comfortable with that. That's like what child support does. But if I do sign up with them I'll be saving $235 a year ($19.50/mnth) when comparing it to my current policy with Progressive.

I have them for the same reason, no complaints. A few years ago I had a windshield replaced and they initially wanted to put in a generic glass, but I called them and they quickly approved OEM. There is a discount for paycheck deduction so I let them do that.

Is there an insurance co the locks monthly premiums? I have to change companies every 3 or 4 years after the insurance co has raised premiums for no reason.

The Metlife plan sounds like a good deal. Are limits of liability the same(or better yet higher) than Progressives limits? Auto deduct is annoying, but auto transfers from your bank account net the same loss in dollars.

Last edited:
^ exact same coverage. Reason being for them auto deducting from my paycheck is the extra discount. Otherwise paying by credit card in full is $100 more expensive.

Not sure if it's worth it....don't like them taking it that way either...

Though in a state like MI where nearly 40 percent of drivers have no insurance, there has been talk of programs like that to make sure people are paying them...

Originally Posted By: gallydif

Uhoh
If you look hard enough at anything you will find someone who found fault with it.

I'm not a fan of paycheck deduction; not even a fan of automated payment. Some like it, me I don't. Perhaps it's best to keep shopping.

What % of drivers in your zip code go without insurance? This paycheck-leeching thing seems like a possible workaround on their part for customer retention. This also gets them a customer base of employed, W4-generating customers instead of drug dealers and n'er-do-wells, who register cars in their cousins' names to avoid OUI surcharges, or "whatever they do", which insurance companies know happen, but have to be careful "discriminating" against.

Also, do you need permission from the state to drop/ switch insurance? They could get their tentacles in you that way, too.

I get a hefty discount for paying for my 6 mo/ 1 yr policy all up front. I only carry liability so I don't really care about customer service.

The paycheck discount is a bonus likely. If I pay progressive in full they give a $250 discount. If I choose payments I loose that AND pay per payment.

I had Met for almost twenty years, with a wind claim on the house and a non-fault with the car.
They were all over both claims right away, and I was pleased.
As Donald said, they are an excellent insurance company.
That said, rate structure changes with underwriting profitability year to year. Huge variations in pricing exists because of loss ratios, age and type of exposure, etc.
Insurance isn't a fun purchase. Shopping for it isn't exactly the most uplifting experience either.
A good broker can tell you who has the current values, just don't trade down your quality of carrier.
Can't help you on the payroll payment, I was never a big fan of letting someone else take my money.
Good luck.

I certainly would NOT be comfortable with it. Car insurance companies try to change my premium every year, ever year i take the time to shop around and almost always find it cheaper with another company. No insurance company will get any loyalty from me.

All insurance companies are in business to make a profit and the premiums are what they are concerned with, not with your or any other claim. Some are better than others. I paid State Farm automobile and homeowners' premiums for decades, and the first claim I made they acted like they had never heard of me. The local State Farm office kept sending me notices that I could save money if I carried both auto and home coverage after State Farm had been writing both policies for ten years. This didn't happen in a metropolitan location either but in a town of 7500 residents. The agent was dumber than a stump and seemed in a daze when I talked to him. I assumed he was probably smoking the same thing a lot of our plant employees and county residents were smoking on and off the job. We finally fired a few and some got caught up in DEA drug busts. Unfortunately the State Farm guy wasn't one of them. I busted him myself. IT'S THE PREMIUMS.

Originally Posted By: gallydif
Anyone have any experience with their auto insurance? The company I work for has some discount with them. Anyways if I sign up with metlife auto, they'll auto deduct from my paycheck. I don't feel comfortable with that. That's like what child support does. But if I do sign up with them I'll be saving $235 a year ($19.50/mnth) when comparing it to my current policy with Progressive.

I had them for a few years. I used auto payments each month as it gave me a discount for doing so. Not out of my pay check like you but out of my account. Not problems there. That part wouldn't bother me at all. You have to pay it anyway so let them take it and save some $$$.

When I was with them I felt the policy and perks were excellent. The premium was as well at first but then it started to go up even though I had no claims. Just a little here and there at first but then all of a sudden WHAM it about doubled. When I called to complain and ask how the premium could go so high when I had no claims and the vehicle was older they gave me the run around about zip code and overall insurance costs rising yada...yada...yada... Total [censored]!

I get it that like all things in life insurance costs go up some even with no claims but this was not a small rise this was HUGE. I was in a low risk category, no tickets or accidents, no claims, same vehicle aging so less expensive for them to repair/buy out in a total, etc... I stayed at first with the small cost increases but when that massive one hit that was too much and I left.

I dropped them like a hot potato. Got a policy with the same basic coverage for less than 1/2 of their policy and it has not continually risen each year after like MetLife did. In talking with a few people who used to have them or did at the time I learned it seems to be their SOP = hook you with a low policy to start and then it will go up and up and up after that.

Too bad as I liked the policy as said and they have a good reputation for handling claims if you need the insurance. I just couldn't justify the cost. It was literally outrageous. That is my only negative comment on MetLife. They play fast and loose with the premiums so pay attention to that if you sign up with them.

Last edited:
Seems like about half are okay with it automatically being taken out of the paycheck while the other half are not. I must admit I'm very please with Progressive customer service especially when I had a claim. Everything was handled in a timely manner.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
I pay yearly, anything less costs more. I make ins payments to myself, in a saving account, actually my money market account at my credit union.

We do the same thing, we pay for a 12 month policy up front. Saves about 5 dollars per month.

My advise to the OP is to contact a local broker, who will pull 15-20 quotes at once then fine tune them to get your best deal.

My broker pulls discounts that I can not get on my own. Saved me $1000 per year on auto/homeowner combined.

Rate on auto crept up 200-300 per year, so I gave him a call yesterday and he is shopping policies again.

I have no idea why people want to get all these quotes yourself when a broker will do it for free, and get better results.

As for met life, never received a quote from them. I have heard of them up in NY but no one I know has them.

Geico was not cheaper for me a couple years ago because they consider no point ticket (i.e. cell phone) to be just the same as speeding or other with points ticket, while AAA doesn't. So it is important to shop around and see what works for you and what doesn't.

My AAA agent and adjuster suck though, they never answer phone call and always lost track of info I send them, claiming that I didn't leave the case number with the voice mail or email, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back