Best Lube For Hinges, Locks And Other Parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked my friend who is a Licensed Lock Smith what he uses to lube locks that he works on and he says most locksmiths use the blue and yellow WD-40 spray but there must be something better. Maybe even another WD-40 product...Any ideas?

Graphite. I use the powder tube for key locks on house and car locks. You can also get graphite spray. For hinges, car door hinges I use lithium grease from spray can.

last time (friday) I used this:

Rusty-Penetrant.jpg

graphite containing penetrant

Back in the 90's GM was having problems with door locks on cars and came out with a GM lock lube. If you couldn't get that, they specifically said you could use Mobil 1. That's what I've always used. Dip key in oil and insert in lock - I use it on ignition locks too - now, many have start buttons. M1 also extends the life of old worn out box fans by a few years.

For hinges and latches on the cars, I spray them with white lithium grease at every maintenance.

With all the salt around here, I try to lube the locks once a year. I used to just squirt a little grease in there with a grease needle but it tends to be a little too thick and stick to the key too much and get grease on somebody's clothes. Now I've been using Gel Lube. I think I got it at Walmart. Has a nice thin plastic tube you can stick right in the lock. It's thinner than regular wheel bearing grease but thicker than oil. I think it probably is just about the right viscosity to disperse itself around on the parts in there but not run off too quick like oil might. It's been working good for me for 5 or 10 years now. No lock problems.

I have a lock that sits out in the rain all the time. It was corroded and non functioning about 5 years ago. I put a few drops of Breakfree CLP gun oil on the moving parts and its been perfect since (several years ago) Maybe not the right oil for the job but has been more than satisfactory.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I have a lock that sits out in the rain all the time. It was corroded and non functioning about 5 years ago. I put a few drops of Breakfree CLP gun oil on the moving parts and its been perfect since (several years ago) Maybe not the right oil for the job but has been more than satisfactory.

General purpose gun oil does work very well for hinges, locks and other household things.

I use Corrosion X with success on everything I have tried. It is even safe (and actually good) for ignition locks and places where electronics are present.

Specifically for locks, if it is a clean, mostly indoor environment, nothing beats fluid film. It will keep the lock buttery smooth and protected almost for life with one heavy application. If the lock is in a dusty/desert environment then one of the dry, teflon type spray lubes work best.

I do not like graphite on locks at all. All it does is make the lock feel more dry and crunchy.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Back in the 90's GM was having problems with door locks on cars and came out with a GM lock lube. If you couldn't get that, they specifically said you could use Mobil 1. That's what I've always used. Dip key in oil and insert in lock - I use it on ignition locks too - now, many have start buttons. M1 also extends the life of old worn out box fans by a few years.

Never understood why you can't just use motor oil on locks when everyone recommends graphite.

"0W-20 because that's what it is anyway . . . a hinge lube."

I have several hinges with many miles on them, always used 0W-20 ......
should I start using a 10w-30 for hinges with over 75K miles?

When the door lock mechanism got a bit sticky on my Maxima (you would insert the key and turn but it would not activate the electric lock), I called my locksmith about what to use. He said he doesn't like graphite for auto locks and highly recommended Tri-Flow Superior Lubricant. I picked up a bottle at his shop (small black bottle with a straw) and squeezed in just a bit into the exterior keyhole. With a few cycles of the key, the lock now performs flawlessly.

Just saw this - have Mobil 0w20 AFE in an old style squirt can - works great on all kinds of things.

I use Blaster Garage Door Lube for interior/exterior/automotive hinges, door knobs, etc. I just started using Clopay garage door lubricant on the garage door with great results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back