Castrol Motorcycle Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
Anyone here use either of these Castrol Motorcycle Oils? Both have JASO MA-2 ratings. Many user reviews of the full synthetic say the transmission shifts better than with other full synthetics like Mobil 1. I was thinking of trying the Castrol 10W-40 in the XSR900 next oil change.

Full Synthetic

Semi Synthetic

I've used it in my Suzuki and currently have it in my VStar - although both of those bikes are not picky on oil - I can't tell a difference. I have a friend who uses it exclusive in his two Triumphs; of course, that's the oil recommended by Triumph. The only bike that I have had that seemed picky on oil was my Buell.

I have used it on my Triumph in the 10w50 flavor. It is a middle of the road synthetic. I tried out 15w50 Maxima Synthetic and it like that oil better than the Castrol. But the cost is a bit high and I would only buy it again on sale.

I have no doubt it's a good oil, but it always surprises me how gimmicky they are with their marketing on the bottles. Kind of a shame in my view, for a major player.

I thought the Power 1 was re-labeled as Power RS these days, with the RS meaning Reduced Slip-- for MA2's better clutch friction characteristics over MA.

There were some pretty good prices on the Power RS on Amazon for a while, boiled down to about $7 a bottle in a 6 count case.

over here, honda recommended castrol FS when I bought my CBR1000RR8 and I think the dealers still use it for oil service.
I myself prefer mobile to everything else but unfortunately they do not sell the right grade for M/C in europe.
Castrol product are also regarded highly

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Anyone here use either of these Castrol Motorcycle Oils? Both have JASO MA-2 ratings. Many user reviews of the full synthetic say the transmission shifts better than with other full synthetics like Mobil 1. I was thinking of trying the Castrol 10W-40 in the XSR900 next oil change.

Full Synthetic

Semi Synthetic

I have used the Castrol Actevo once before but never noticed any difference/improvement in shifting. Although a VOA doesn't reveal the complete picture of the additive package used, the analysis looked more similar to a typical PCMO than anything. You could run with the Yamalube 10W40 standard petroleum oil that would qualify you for their 20 year/100,000 mile limited engine warranty as well. I know the Castrol Actevo can be picked up at Walmart for roughly the same price as the standard Yamalube (with the Actevo being a Semi-Synthetic which is a bonus, and being at a competitive price point).

I tried the Actevo 10w40 in my KLR 650 once on the recommendation of a friend. Didn't notice any difference from the Rotella T5 15w40 I'd been using. The T5 is good oil, and available most places under $18 per gallon.

I ran Castrol RS 10w60 in both my CBR1000 and CBR 1100XX for over 200K on each of them from the first oil change.
The cam chain needed replacement at around 200K on the 1000, all the internals other than the stretched chain were within values for a brand new engine, bearings, cylinders, pistons, cams, etc were withing new spec.

They replaced the motorcycle RS with Racing 4T 10w40 and 10w50 I use the 10w50 now it has the same red color and smell as the old RS. You could say i am sold on the stuff.

http://www.castrol.com/de_de/germany/pro...and/power1.html

Last edited:
Honestly you need to put miles onto the transmission... I've used cheapo Rotella TTT and bikes have shifted smooth as butter. My FZ, its still a little notchy at times. Difference it has 4k while the rest of the bikes have 15k+.

I just changed the oil in my Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 using the full synthetic and a HiFlo 303RC filter. It seems to be fine; no explosions or instantaneous engine failures or whatever. Will be probably more than sufficient for a full season.

The 10-50 seems like a very good oil, according to thei MSDS it's PAO based, at least in parts of europe.

The US MSDS says Chemically modified base oil Proprietary performance additives - no mention of beeing PAO based....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Analyzer
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Full Synthetic

Semi Synthetic

I have used the Castrol Actevo once before but never noticed any difference/improvement in shifting. Although a VOA doesn't reveal the complete picture of the additive package used, the analysis looked more similar to a typical PCMO than anything. You could run with the Yamalube 10W40 standard petroleum oil that would qualify you for their 20 year/100,000 mile limited engine warranty as well. I know the Castrol Actevo can be picked up at Walmart for roughly the same price as the standard Yamalube (with the Actevo being a Semi-Synthetic which is a bonus, and being at a competitive price point).

If I needed a Jaso oil I would not hesitate to use it. Unknown to a lot of people in these forums Castrol Motorcycle oil is one a few truly few CERTIFIED Jaso Oils discussed here.
Mobile 1 is not Jaso Certified, only claims to meet Jaso, if that.

Just because an oil is not "certified" doesnt mean anything bad, your just placing your trust in the oil company to being truthful. :eek:)
But could you imagine the people in the Automobile and Diesel Forums above using oil not Certified by the API or ACEA? It wouldnt happen, but we do it in our bikes for some reason.

Anyway, again, to your question, I think you are doing good, choosing an actual "certified" oil with the Official Jaso Symbol/Stamp on the back.

Last edited:
There are currently 823 JASO registered oils, and although that includes duplicate registrations in some cases, more than a few of them are discussed here fairly regularly.

JASO 4T EV LIST

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
There are currently 823 JASO registered oils, and although that includes duplicate registrations in some cases, more than a few of them are discussed here fairly regularly.

JASO 4T EV LIST

Yes, of course I am aware of the site you provided and checked it once again before I posted.
So let me rephrase my post for you :eek:)

Better said, few of the popular common motorcycle oils discussed in here are certified Jaso oils.
The popular oils I speak of that are not Jaso Certified are Mobile 1, Rotella, Redline, Royal Purple.

The point I was really trying to make is simply, Mobile 1 and Rotella is always the standard many in here use, mentioned again right in this thread and the OP was asking about Castrol.

Out of those, I feel you cant go wrong with the Castrol, name brand and the only one out of those three that is Jaso Certified. When we pick oils for our cars and trucks, we demand they be certified but we settle for the manufacturer of motorcycle oils to simply state their oil meets the standards without certification.

BTW - you helped a lot of people by posting the link. I love facts.

Originally Posted By: MoreCowbellAz
I have no doubt it's a good oil, but it always surprises me how gimmicky they are with their marketing on the bottles. Kind of a shame in my view, for a major player.

I got to agree, those are some nice looking oil bottles but as far as gimmicks I cant agree for the reasons in the posts above, while other large common popular motorcycle brands simply state their oil meets Jaso Specs, Castrol goes the extra step and actually is certified/licensed Jaso oil.

I run the 20-50 in my harleys been using it for a few years. Like it and easy to find. No problems.

-----------------------
'04 XL1200C
'13 FLSTC
'16 FLHX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back