Which way to go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh, you're right: for some reason I thought this was 30 or 32mpg rated. Maybe I'm thinking of the pre-'08 numbers. Regardless: I can live with it.

Have to figure out what tires I want to run. Probably RT43's but am kinda hoping some magical deal will show up on CL (again). I kinda don't want to wait for Black Friday deals as it's got a fair amount of tire noise.

Are you in Southern NH? I am in Northern MA aka 10 miles from Nashua. I have got the same 1999 LE and having somebody local with the same car would be helpful. I am battling P0446 for last five years! But everything else I have been taking care of.

The last tank I got 30mph on my daily commuting which is mostly on 495, 30 miles each way. 369 miles under 12 gallons!!

If you are willing, go with current deal on Michelin at Costco, expensive but definitely worth it. I put some cheaper tires on it initially but they did not last at all and were quite bad in terms of balancing.

For the paint repair, I would try hood at home using youtube for inspiration. But don't try to change the color. That never works out. And forget getting it done professionally on cheap budget. That would be disaster. Another option would be to look in to DipYourCar. As long as you are willing to treat this car as a platform to experiment and learn you would have a ball.

Last edited:
Nah, not southern: I live in the Sunapee region (just outside of New London) but commute to Manchester daily. Not quite local to each other. Lemme know if anything comes up; I have a busy schedule with kids and stuff, but Sundays are sometimes open, and it can be fun to putter around with cars, even boring old Camry's. [Should take a trip up and visit eljefino, he's got an evap problem too.]

Have you bought one of the Techstream knockoffs from Ebay? I bought one a few years ago, and have on a clunker laptop that is dead slow; I would love to get a copy working on my clunker Win10 laptop. Anyhow: one of those should be helpful in debugging it. Don't know much about evap systems, at least not yet... need to find a service manual for this car at some point, might have to give in and pay $$$ for one off Ebay or something.

Don't have a Costco membership but do have one for BJ's. I should look there, see what deals they have. I will probably wait for Black Friday, because as you point out, buy good tires once and be done with it. I'm just being a bit hesitant at the moment, feeling the car out, before I make "big" purchases for it--just in case there is something I overlooked. Which I doubt, and even I did, it should still be cheap to repair.

I was in Walmart the other day and they had General Articmax(?) in a 185/70R14 size listed at $60. I'm sure it's more like $80 per out the door. I think they had the same price for RT43 as DTD, at $73 per.

Originally Posted By: supton

dirty-car.jpg

Well done. I bet you can find $30 tires for that thing.

My $15 techstream knockoff shows more than I know what to do with for my (2002) evap system... there are four different tests and I pass with vacuum applied but fail with it off. Kind of a puzzler. The reflash program needs a serial number and the customize menu (passenger air bag nag light etc) has no options.

I found real cheap 15" dodge caravan steelies that fit and nothing bad happens from the lug-centricity. The "Champiro IcePro" snows in 195/65/15 are a size small but have Extra Load rating and were $101 for a set after all rebates from DTD.

Now I am having P0446 with P0450. I guess I need to pick a knockoff techstream. Does i work on USB? My laptop with serial port no longer has a working battery.

It only works on USB, and a lot of them want 32-bit windows. Not for the software but for the cable driver.

My win 7 computer disabled a USB video capture device and/or got a virus. I reversed this with a virus scan and removal of the offending software. I believe it was more of a resource conflict-- the CD rom passes virus scanning.

A cheezeball "intel atom" XP desktop works fine, AFAIK. I had to move a .DLL file to the root c: drive to get it to work; the setup and registry editor is a bit sketchy.

I got it from ebay seller "oftenbuy." They don't claim to include software but show a picture of a CD.
wink.gif

Figured out today that my parking brake is broken--the emergency brake is fine, but the parking brake isn't. Pull up on the handle, the brakes engage--but the handle won't stay up. Feels like something is loose in there, am hoping it's a loose bolt. Something else to pull apart. Matches the tape deck which doesn't like the cassette adapter.

Reading around, the rattle in the front end is a bad strut bearing, apparently common. LF was replaced, and the repair order says the RF needed to be done... guess it's due. I think it "needs" rear struts, or quickstruts, as I'd swear it is sitting low in the rear.

Did the intake hose, and the torque strut last night. I used a "Galaxy Parts" IH101 for the intake, can't say I recommend; it fits, but a bit too tight on whatever sits under the hose. Need to get some 1/2" ID hose to replace the crankcase breather hose next. I think Mon I'll take a vacation day and do the ATF, maybe brake fluid, and Fluid Film. Maybe bust loose the wheels too and make sure they come off. Tomorrow I might see if I can get a trans filter kit, just for the gasket I'd need if I dropped the pan.

Realized today that the engine has some sort of green coolant in it--there is dregs of red in the tank, but it's clearly a transparent green in the radiator. Probably some sort of universal coolant.

Didn't see the price drop on RT43's, nice. Those do well enough on the other Camry, would lean towards that. Still poking around on CL, "just in case". No rush to do anything, outside of fluids.

There are probably a million 195/70/14s in the junkyards as it *used* to be a popular size. Cavaliers, Cieras, etc. Look for tread, good date code, and getting 4 for $50 to make the risk/reward matrix beat WM's new pricing.

I have a set of 4 Hankook 724s on my merc diesel. I like that I can actually burn rubber with them in that slow car. But the reviews say they're dreadful on snow. I wouldn't be surprised.

"joint" buying "our" new car is a recipe for disaster, neither of you will ever be happy with the compromise.

Buy your own car for your own reasons, and let her do the same.

Originally Posted By: Patman
I'm a bit confused at the need for this car when you already have a 2011 Camry and 2010 Tundra?

It's 75% need and 25% want. Something like that.

It's a 30 mile drive to car parts store. The closest coworker who works the same hours as I do is like 15 miles away; he'd have to drive the 15 miles to me and then we drive the 50 miles in. Or I'd have to figure out how to get over to him while getting kids ready for the bus at the same time... no small feat.

We have a few mechanics around, but it's very much a "drop it off and we'll try to get to it today". So if anything comes up, I could just take a few days off from work, and hope that the wife isn't using her car (not likely).

As much as I like Toyota for their boring dependability--there is nothing magical about them. They break like everything else. My two broke down this summer. One froze a caliper and the other got a flat tire. I managed to fix but a third vehicle would have been a godsend.

It's a bit like having a generator, or a week's worth of food stored up.

Originally Posted By: Olas
"joint" buying "our" new car is a recipe for disaster, neither of you will ever be happy with the compromise.

Buy your own car for your own reasons, and let her do the same.

Shopping for the wife would have, at some point, had her going to look at said vehicle. If she didn't like, it wouldn't have happened. Simple as that. She has no love for her Camry (who does?) so if we found her something better, I'd get her Camry. Found this beater instead which fits the bill for my needs&wants.

Besides: she can't just buy what she wants, I do have a say. Just like she'd have a say in something I buy. I like to think I have a bit more say, as I get to be the one who fixes (and, erm, pay for), but regardless, it's a joint marriage, so nothing gets sprung on the other.

Quote:
Matches the tape deck which doesn't like the cassette adapter.
You need an adapter which has internal gears so that both spools inside the cassette turns, otherwise the tape player stops.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Quote:
Matches the tape deck which doesn't like the cassette adapter.
You need an adapter which has internal gears so that both spools inside the cassette turns, otherwise the tape player stops.

I must have that--it plays music. But it makes quite the racket. At first I thought the belt was broken, as it was a high pitched whine; playing with which side played got the noise down to a ticking. Which sometimes goes back to a whine.

I'm not buying this but if I "had to" I'd probably replace the radio to fix. When I get bored in the car I do like to flip through the radio stations, and BT would be nice for phone calls--I don't make many, but it's nice just the same.

Aftermarket headunits are so cheap, you may as well throw one in. Very little work/expense in a car of that vintage, and will make it more enjoyable as a daily driver/commuter car.

At at about 900 miles now. First tank was 34.4mpg, second was 32mpg. Going to take a while to "get a feel", and I'll probably do an alignment after getting new tires. So it'll be a while. But my Tundra seems to be getting under 18 under the same driving habits, so... I'm ahead.

Having fun with this car. Reminds me of my first vehicle for some reason. Probably because it's been forever since I paid cash and then had something to mess around with (unlike new, where it's just a few accessories to pick out).

New Monroe Quickstruts today; got rid of the awful rattle it had, and it rides better to boot (had Sensens on it, so someone sometime did struts). Fluid Film'd, all fluids (save coolant--PO just had that done) done. Need tires and a windshield (probably), remove or replace the fog lights (aftermarket, something is wrong, but can't open, so need to replace). Timing belt at some time. Whatever else comes up.

Verified today that the CD player doesn't do mp3's.
lol.gif
Wasn't until much later that I realized what I had done. I'll have to check on regular CD's but I might have to give in and replace. I usually flip through radio stations for something to do when bored, but it might be nice to have bluetooth etc.

Figured out the parking brake: it works, but if you push the button to release, it takes 30 seconds for it to fully pop out. Took a look today at the fog lights, can't open the lens so I suspect it needs to be replaced (some sort of aftermarket lights). Also found a "United States Security 4000" box under the dash; there are remotes of some sort in the ashtray. Websearch doesn't reveal much, but until it gives grief... it'll be ignored.

Pulled the drums, plenty of brake lining. Plus they came off. Stoked about how clean this car is! An old car where all the fasteners come off as intended.

I do think I picked up a whine of some sort after doing trans fluid--trans pump? Dunno. Could be me imagining things--maybe it was there before and I didn't hear it. If one wants to, they can hear all sorts of things...

Rather than pay for a new head unit, this is my $12 solution to listening to Pandora in my work truck, which has no AUX input on the stereo.

Interesting; forgot about those.

Pulled apart the head unit, to see if I could tap the signal chain. Too much work. The cassette deck has broken gears; that is what is making the noise. I pulled the belt off, and then the motor hunts; it was not happy. I thought of figuring out where to tap the CD deck, but alternate means seems wiser and easier.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Rather than pay for a new head unit, this is my $12 solution to listening to Pandora in my work truck, which has no AUX input on the stereo.

I went with one of those too in the Focus. As long as you pick a station that's weak in your area it works well enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back