Sylvannia 9012 bulb - Silverstar version

Status
Not open for further replies.
While researching for HIR replacement.
I found this silverstar version that I've never seen before.
Looks to be made by Vosla too.

9012STBP

I can't seem to find much more info about the color temp/lumen/lifespan.

Last edited:
Blue glass is bad for everything, it means reducing overall output which means increasing the lumens through the use of a tighter filament to meet minimum lumen ratings which means shorter lifespan. This doesn't even take into account the increase in glare for everyone with the change of glass color.

Check out my post here a few posts down I posted pictures of the regular Vosla made in Germany 9012 +30 bulbs, use the GM part numbers on the picture to locate the bulb online or at the dealer.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4030109/1

Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
I used them back in 2010? and they last only 6-8 months , maybe they improved that?

These look to be new with the blue coating.
You meant the original HIR2 gen2/gen3 right?

I got the philips HIR2 gen3 bulbs in 2010. They're still working, just dimmer.

Originally Posted By: wing0
I used them back in 2010? and they last only 6-8 months , maybe they improved that?

These look to be new with the blue coating.
You meant the original HIR2 gen2/gen3 right?

I got the philips HIR2 gen3 bulbs in 2010. They're still working, just dimmer.

Im not sure on that, I just know I tried sylvania and another brand or 2 and they all didn't last. I was not to happy. I didn't replace both at once.I had them in my current car , my civic. I may try the LED kit.

I may try the LED kit.

There is no safe, legal or reputable way to convert a halogen housing to an led type by just swapping the bulb.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I may try the LED kit.

There is no safe, legal or reputable way to convert a halogen housing to an led type by just swapping the bulb.

There is a kit on amazon amd Scotty Kilmer talks about one,. it has the entire assembly and harness.

I may try the LED kit.

There is a kit on amazon amd Scotty Kilmer talks about one,. it has the entire assembly and harness.

There is no kit to accomplish what you want, manufacturers spend tons of time and money on R&D to make headlights from scratch sometimes with multiple re designs to meet all the requirements necessary and you think you can just buy a shoddy made in China drop in kit to accomplish the same thing?

Scott Kilmer and Goss are idiots as far as I'm concerned when it comes to automotive lighting.

Look up fmvss 108 pdf if you're interested in the photometric requirements manufacturers have to meet.

I may try the LED kit.

There is no kit to accomplish what you want, manufacturers spend tons of time and money on R&D to make headlights from scratch sometimes with multiple re designs to meet all the requirements necessary and you think you can just buy a shoddy made in China drop in kit to accomplish the same thing?

Scott Kilmer and Goss are idiots as far as I'm concerned when it comes to automotive lighting.

Look up fmvss 108 pdf if you're interested in the photometric requirements manufacturers have to meet.

Last edited:
The regular Phillips branded HIR 9012 is a suitable replacement for most 9006 applications if the housings include a full bulb shield since the biggest difference is that the 9012 doesn't have a blacked out tip coating to control glare.

If you want a good bulb for another part number the Phillips bulbs are good but for every step up in brightness you lose lifespan its a direct trade. The Phillips vision plus are a good compromise and the xtreme vision or xtreme power are the top brightness models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back