Could a spark plug cause all this trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like you should have purchased a manual vehicle. No owner of any manual vehicle ever wondered if he had a gearbox problem or a spark problem, they manifest differently.

you need to scope the secondary ignition waveform or at a minimum the primary current ramp

Originally Posted By: Olas
It sounds like you should have purchased a manual vehicle. No owner of any manual vehicle ever wondered if he had a gearbox problem or a spark problem, they manifest differently.

All of your manual transmission proselytizing is really getting old. A Chevy Uplander is a minivan. There's no such thing as a manual transmission minivan here in the States.

Originally Posted By: exranger06

All of your manual transmission proselytizing is really getting old. A Chevy Uplander is a minivan. There's no such thing as a manual transmission minivan here in the States.

Mazda 5

Dodge Caravan Turbo (I believe the Plymouth Voyager turbo as well)

Yeah this is getting old. I am all about saving the manuals but it doesn't make since in EVERY situation.

Originally Posted By: ejes

Mazda 5

Dodge Caravan Turbo (I believe the Plymouth Voyager turbo as well)

When was the last time you saw a turbo Caravan with manual trans on the road? When I said there's no such thing as a manual minivan, I meant anything made within the last few years that someone looking for a newer, low mileage unit for a reliable daily driver would buy. I don't think a 24 year old Dodge that was somewhat rare even when they were new qualifies. And a Mazda 5 isn't really a minivan; it's like a micro-van. It has about half the cargo space of a Honda Odyssey.

I'm not proselytising anything, only offering the most simple solution to your problem.

Ford Transit is a minivan.

I'm not proselytising anything, only offering the most simple solution to your problem.

You're offering a solution that doesn't exist, which is not really a solution at all, is it? Ford Transits are not available with manual transmissions here in the States.

And telling someone they could've avoided a problem by buying a manual vehicle is the same as extolling a benefit of manual transmissions, which IS proselytising. Which you have a history of doing on here.

Yeah, they could have bought a manual transmission vehicle, and then have to keep having the transmission pulled anyways for clutch replacements.

You're offering a solution that doesn't exist, which is not really a solution at all, is it? Ford Transits are not available with manual transmissions here in the States.

And telling someone they could've avoided a problem by buying a manual vehicle is the same as extolling a benefit of manual transmissions, which IS proselytising. Which you have a history of doing on here.

LMAO, this is also the user who recommends a Nextel Cup stock car for a person looking for a quiet, sporty car that gets over 25mpg

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3981641/Re:_New_Car#Post3981641

Last edited:
He wanted to spend 30k on a Honda! Think about how much faster and how much more fun a race car would be. It was the correct answer to the question.

Now that Ford has dropped the Econoline vans and replaced them with the same Transits they build in Germany/U.K. , I was wondering if they might offer a manual transmission option. Well according to their website, they don't. The only ones available are the 6 speed automatics. Bummer.

I think transmission options are aimed at the wants of buyers. The reason why GM stopped making 3 speed manual vans back in the 1980s is because nobody wanted the manual transmission option. If Ford only offered the Mustang GT in an automatic, I'd say more people would buy something else.

I thought if the automatic in my 98 Chevy van failed, I would find me an old beat up donor pickup with a 5 speed and swap it out. That would be awesome! But I don't think my wife would like it. She says she can drive a stick shift but just doesn't like to...

Personally I like manual transmissions, however if I am in a vacation or "tourist trap" area in stop and go traffic, I'd much rather be driving an automatic. Luckily for me, I don't live in a highly populated area so I can enjoy shifting gears.

One time I made the mistake of taking my '03 Subaru to the "Speedway of Lights" at the Bristol motor speedway. Instead of creeping along at a snail's pace, it was stop and go, people stopping every 5 feet to take pictures. By the time I was out of there, my left leg was cramped and the smell of burnt clutch lining infested the interior. It took a month before it aired out. I thought I had burned the clutch up. I should have taken my 68 Fairlane which was the only automatic I owned at the time.

I don't know if this is fact or opinion but I heard the reason why Europeans prefer manuals is because automatics burn an extra 2 to 3 miles per gallon of petrol. And because petrol is 3 to 4 times the price as in the US, it's worth it.

A friend picked me up at the Sheffield airport and we were headed toward London. Would that be the "M5"? We were stuck on this motorway for hours. He said this was normal. If I had to deal with road on a daily basis, I'd buy an automatic. Or move to Wales or Scotland..

By the way. Manuals have their downfalls. I've had several manuals rebuilt because the brass synconizers wear out. Possibly from ignorant owners using GL-5 differential oil instead of what the manual calls for.

Last time I had a manual rebuilt was back in the late 90s. It was for my Fiat Spider. The guy replaced only the worn parts from recycled transmissions, new bearings and seals. Cost was $800.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back