2015 STI UOA. ENEOS 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my first UOA from my 2015 STi. I've use ENEOS 5w-30 paired with PROVA and WIX filters for it's life so far.

Try an 0 or 5w40 as the viscosity is out of limits. Might also be worth trying a better GTL or German group 4 base stock oil to see if it resists the high temp shearing.

welcome2.gif

Only one uoa, but at least uoa wear numbers look good on this "20 grade" oil. Definitely keep a close eye on those numbers. Guessing there could be a tad more fuel than
19.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bluesubie
welcome2.gif

Only one uoa, but at least uoa wear numbers look good on this "20 grade" oil. Definitely keep a close eye on those numbers. Guessing there could be a tad more fuel than
19.gif

Thanks guys.

The car has a turboback exhaust, Fuel Pressure Regulator, and a tune, that's it. (Stage 2, for subaru folks)

Blackstone says everything looks good and try for 5K, you guys say not so much. What's the difference? Car people vs. oil people? haha.

Ive run T6 5w-40 on two occasions when I couldnt source Eneos. Driving conditions for this oil was mostly highway commuting, a few spirited drives, nothing major, but definitely plenty of 90+ Degree summer days.

Thanks again for the welcome.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: irickchad
Blackstone says everything looks good and try for 5K, you guys say not so much. What's the difference? Car people vs. oil people? haha.

The metal wear rates are good.
The oil appears serviceable, though oil thinning appears rather severe , possibly caused by higher than indicated fuel dilution and the oil itself being shear-prone.

I would concur with Blackstone extending OCI to 5K or even longer, however pair it with a more shear-stable 5W30 or 10W30.

If you like Pennzoil 5W30, do consider Euro version as first choice, though availability maybe an issue to you.
PU and PP would do fine as well.
These would stay in grade.
PYB is as shear-prone as this Eneos, I suppose.
JMHO.
blush.gif

Last edited:
Well some people say "stick to what the manual calls for". But the oil is turning into a 20 grade oil and the manual doesn't call for that does it?

I think between the turbo and maybe fuel dilution, running a 5w40 or 0w40 would not hurt. Shell Helix ultra for example, is a thin 40 grade so you won't hurt anything running such oils.

Last edited:
M1 0W40 fs and Castrol Edge 0W40 are also thin xW40, in case they are more accessible to you.

SHU 0W40 and Petronas Syntium are the cheapest I can get where I live, thin xW40 for my turbo engine with a 3L sump haha!

No need to stick with the factory recommendation when your car is modifed. Even with a Stage I tune your car is modified. Your uoa wear rates are good but this is only one uoa. And a good uoa doesn't mean that you will not have a lubrication related failure. Take it from someone that has had a failure in a turbo Subaru with good uoa's.

The quality of your tune and checking your oil regularly are probably most important, but I always recommend a thicker oil when modified. Subaru Japan even recommends 5W40 for hard street use in a stock BRZ, H6 or any turbo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back