Need opinion on this used tire+rim combination

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found this on CL, opinions? (I am not the seller, nor associated with)
It is not a very expensive tire, about 139 at Walmart or even cheaper at Costco. At first I thought this was an alloy rim but now I see it's steel, now much can it be worth?

What's a good offer for this? I am suspecting $50 is too much.

Quote:

GoodYear LT 245/75R16 Wrangler HT - $50

Good for spare or running, about 8/32" tread life, mounted on GM HD 8 lug silver steel wheel with good paint.

http://frederick.craigslist.org/wto/5818785267.html

I bought 4 new tires and have a new spare mounted on a steel rim.

I thought it would be cool to have a second spare on its own rim. If somehow you get really unlucky and get two flats on the same trip. Or just the convenience of having two spares, one of which you can keep at home.

I will admit to running two mounted spares, but this is on some very rough roads with large distances between service options ( like, a 100 mile tow job distance). If you are using a proper truck rated tire and not a P-metric, I think two spares is overkill.

Having said that, I can't argue against it if that's what you want to do. If you do ever use the spare, it's nice to not have to buy a tire at the Small Town "Our Tires Are Made of Platinum And Are Priced Accordingly" store just to keep on going on a road trip. Plus, it's not unheard of to bend a rim, and in that case you have a nice straight replacement right there, plus you still have a spare.

Finally it gives you options with regard to replacing tires at a reasonable cost. When you find a deal on a pair of tires you want to run on the truck, you can swap the spares out, and use the old tires as your new spares, and possibly even have spares that are the same type / size / etc as what you are actually running.

$50 seems reasonable assuming the tire has reasonable tread depth and the date code doesn't scare you. See if you can ascertain that the rim isn't bent. Remember that UV kills spares.

I agree with the others: if the tire is even halfway recent (produced within the last 4-5 years), $50 for a mounted E-range LT tire is very reasonable. I personally think that the wheel and tire EACH are worth at least $40 apiece.

Rims are what, $25/each, give or take? very often I can find them priced higher on CL. Actually, I don't see them at the $25 level very often; $50 and they sit, $25 and they move. YMMV.

I think it's a decent deal. If it's not too far of a drive, it's probably worthwhile.

Why is $50 too much? If the tire is a recent date code with a good tread, the wheel is worth something (go price one at the dealer, or a refinished one from a shop - I suspect it will cost $100 or more). The wheel doesn't look pristine, but it looks pretty darn good.

Im sure you can shave some money off, it all depends on the tire.

$50 looks extremely fair. But it sounds more like you're trying to talk yourself into buying something you really don't need in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back