Attic insulation-cheap builder-check it yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canuck - moved to —> California —> Texas —> ???
As the saying goes "If you want something done right, do it yourself." It seems cover more and more aspects of our lives. For me it recently involved correcting builder screw ups.

Our house is only 5 years old and it already needed the attic insulation topped off. Everything seemed fine when we first moved in, but as the years progressed I noticed an increased difference in temperature between the upstairs and downstairs.
Last year I went up to the attic to investigate the situation, as two of the rooms upstairs, which were also the coldest, started to develop slight mold at the celling. Turns out that there was very little insulation above these rooms and in some section the vapor barrier was totally exposed. These were the areas that developed mold because condensation was developing on the vapor barrier and finding its way though it.

My attic is insulated with cellulose blown in insulation, so I understand some settling took place, but it doesn't change the fact that the further I got from the attic entrance, the thinner the insulation layer got. I'm not blameless in this situation, as I did not go up in the attic during my inspection, only looked through the entrance. Still, it does not excuse the builder, especially since it was "inspected" and passed to the latest building codes (which is another can of worms altogether).

To remedy the situation, I got 12 bags of AtticCat fiberglass, blow in insulation along with their blower from HD last weekend. It was quite an easy DIY project and the whole system seems to be design for this kind of thing. Aside from dragging the hose, light and a measuring stick through my attic, that looks like an obstacle course for gymnasts, everything went smoothly and quite fast. I prepped everything in the attic a day before, so the actual blowing in took only about 2 hours. My rental sheet said I had the machine for 3h 5 min total.
I should also mention that I did not have to repair my celling afterwards.
grin.gif

So far the temperatures upstairs and downstairs seem to be very close together, about 0.5-1C, where before it was over 2C. I also expect a bit of savings during the heating and cooling seasons, but overall comfort is what I was really after with our children sleeping in these rooms.

Been there. Done that with "correcting numerous 'custom' builder screw-ups". Oh if I knew then what I know now....

I now finally have my attic insulation, top plate sealing, fir down blocking work finished. It's sure made a difference. No more hot/cold ceilings or interior walls or drafty rooms to deal with.

Cheers on getting yours sorted!

File a construction defect claim w the builders insurance carrier. U have until the home is 10 years old I believe

Builders warranty?? Bond?? Any legal recourse in Canada? No Charge to you Public Adjuster <---Not sure if the last one applies but worth a phone call.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Why didn't you just blow in more cellulose instead? Why the switch over to fiberglass?

I went with what's easily available to me and cheap. Once the stuff is up in the attic, it makes little difference whether its cellulose or fiberglass IMO. I have both, no big deal.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
File a construction defect claim w the builders insurance carrier. U have until the home is 10 years old I believe
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Builders warranty?? Bond?? Any legal recourse in Canada? No Charge to you Public Adjuster div>

My warranty and I believe it's standard in Ontario, was only one year and 5 years for foundation. After 12 months I was on my own.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Been there. Done that with "correcting numerous 'custom' builder screw-ups". Oh if I knew then what I know now....

I now finally have my attic insulation, top plate sealing, fir down blocking work finished. It's sure made a difference. No more hot/cold ceilings or interior walls or drafty rooms to deal with.

Tell me about it, the stuff that passes as "made by professionals" is simply mind boggling.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: sleddriver

Tell me about it, the stuff that passes as "made by professionals" is simply mind boggling.
crazy2.gif

..and a "Owens-Corning preferred" decal on the contract van.
laugh.gif

Builders in the Toronto area cut corners. My house was built in 2002 and they didn't have enough insulation. I added fiberglass batts first then used the attic cat to top it up to r60.

I also added those styrofoam baffles as well.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Why didn't you just blow in more cellulose instead? Why the switch over to fiberglass?

Cellulose generates a lot of dust when you blow it in the attic. The attic cat doesn't generate dust. At home depot in Canada when you buy 10 or more bags of attic cat, the rental is free.

Over time cellulose compacts where as attic cat doesn't.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Cellulose generates a lot of dust when you blow it in the attic. The attic cat doesn't generate dust. At home depot in Canada when you buy 10 or more bags of attic cat, the rental is free.

Over time cellulose compacts where as attic cat doesn't.

I was pleasantly surprised that the atticat stuff did not dust at all and did not itch, my mask however for brown from the cellulose dust.

JC1, did you check that the atticat insulation did not settle? If what they advertise is true, then it will be fantastic. I blew R60 or more in some areas, so if it stays the same over the years it a huge plus.

I fully insulated my house during the remodel when it was gutted. I also remember "painful" days with my father insulating the attic (pulling old rockwool and replacing with fiberglass) in his home when I was younger (attic crawlspace).

I'm very much OCD and learn by mistakes... should have paid someone to do the insulation. Material cost (fiberglass R15, R19 & R30 w/ 20% discount) was nearly the same as quoted installed cost. I spent a LOT of time air-sealing and fitting the glass. Would have been better just to do the air sealing myself and pay a crew to knock it out in a day and then spend a few fixing any "issues" of sloppy work. Versus spends weeks doing it myself after work.

Doing the same job today. There's an Atticat machine and 10 bundles of insulation stacked in the garage at the moment. All that fit comfortably on a 4x8 utility trailer.

Between an ice dam a few winters ago, pulling a new circuit, and installing new bath fans, the existing blown-in fiberglass insulation is pretty matted down in spots. This should help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back