According to XOM...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you use the "Oil Finder" app on the Mobil 1 website, it says XOM does not sell an oil in the U.S. that meets the specs for my Corvette. Never mind that Mobil 1 5w30 is in fact dexos1 approved and is recommended by XOM for GM4718M applications (according to their own product data sheet).
crazy2.gif

Mobil 1 5w-30 is Dexos 1

Both regular M1 5w-30 and 5w-30 EP are listed as Dexos 1 on their data sheets.

If I try a 2002 Camaro LS1 it recommends the 5w-30. Odd that the Corvettes of that era come up with a different result.

I looked my Impala and Malibu the other day and it said they didn't sell the appropriate oil in the US right now.

I think the finder was acting funny because I've used it before just fine. I bet some oils are getting or losing certifications and the database is in limbo.

Originally Posted By: Shesed
there's an oil finder app? didn't know about it. thanks!

WELCOME Shesed!

All the major brands have an oil selector section on their websites. Mobil1, IMO, is the best.

https://mobiloil.com/en

See: 'Find the right oil'

Originally Posted By: wemay

I just have to laugh at the ad. The official motor oil of the NBA. Just like Dr. Pepper is the official soda of college football. What does that even mean? It's a product that has nothing to do with that industry. Marketing is so strange.

Originally Posted By: jayg

I just have to laugh at the ad. The official motor oil of the NBA. Just like Dr. Pepper is the official soda of college football. What does that even mean? It's a product that has nothing to do with that industry. Marketing is so strange.

It completely went over my head until you mentioned it. So true. Who would pick Mobil1 based on this add?

Official oil of the NBA?

So I guess they use M1 0w-20 so as the basketballs meet CAFE requirements for air-resistance economy?
Or do they believe that "thicker is better," and use 25w-70 for the high film strength for old, highly worn balls?

No oil available for my '02 F150 either.
Site says "your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 5W-20 or 5W-30 viscosity and oil that meets Ford WSS-M2C930-A", but Ford only specs 5w-20 for my truck.
Funny how it only recommends synthetic xw-20 for my Scion, not conventional (which is not an issue).

The official motor oil of the NBA. Just like Dr. Pepper is the official soda of college football. What does that even mean? It's a product that has nothing to do with that industry.

Well, I can see football players getting thirsty. Maybe basketball teams can dump motor oil of their chosen viscosity on the floor underneath their baskets as a defensive measure.

Originally Posted By: Garak
The official motor oil of the NBA. Just like Dr. Pepper is the official soda of college football. What does that even mean? It's a product that has nothing to do with that industry.

Well, I can see football players getting thirsty. Maybe basketball teams can dump motor oil of their chosen viscosity on the floor underneath their baskets as a defensive measure.

Watch the movie/USA documentary "Idiocracy"...We are almost there.

Originally Posted By: wemay

Maybe they're no longer the official motor oil of NASCAR so had to step down to something else? LMAO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back