Edge 5W50 and GTX HM 20W50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides the obvious,what's the main differences between these two oils? Both are 50 wts,one a synth blend,the other a full synth. My guess,Edge is a grp III with ti and a "thin" 50 wt,and the GTX is a grp II with a dash of III and extra seal conditioners and a "thick" 50 wt.

I think I'm just bored here at work on lunchbreak and needed something to post about haha. No but really,I have two half quarts,one of each,and may buy a few quarts at Napa since it's on sale to have a couple of complete oil changes on hand.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

I think I'm just bored here at work on lunchbreak and needed something to post about haha. .

I have to answer you Aquariuscsm......the sounds of the lonely tumbleweeds were getting to me.

So what did you have for lunch ?

I think you have already listed the obvious differences about the two Castrol oils.

Me, I like a bit of Penrite HPR 30, a Group 2 mineral 20W-60. It's ACEA A3/B3 and has 1570 ppm Zinc.

HPR30001.png

That's a GOOD looking bottle of oil!! The black bottle with yellow text just looks awesome!!

Did you plan on running this in your naturally aspirated z32? Your 10w40 is more than enough for a healthy VG.

I have run that HM 20w50 in an older Alfa and it did great. It had a primitive variable valve timing and vintage Italian clearances. Made since in the climate I was in at the time too for that motor.

Originally Posted By: jayg
Did you plan on running this in your naturally aspirated z32? Your 10w40 is more than enough for a healthy VG.

I have run that HM 20w50 in an older Alfa and it did great. It had a primitive variable valve timing and vintage Italian clearances. Made since in the climate I was in at the time too for that motor.

Yep. I think I've run everything from 5W30-20W50. 10W40 and 5W50 (Edge 5W50 being my favorite) have been the best viscosites. Nissan even says to use 10W40 60F and higher (outside temps). I haven't used Edge 5W50 in forever because no one carries it anymore except Napa.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Yep. I think I've run everything from 5W30-20W50. 10W40 and 5W50 (Edge 5W50 being my favorite) have been the best viscosites. Nissan even says to use 10W40 60F and higher (outside temps). I haven't used Edge 5W50 in forever because no one carries it anymore except Napa.

How are you rating "best" viscosities for your application? Heat management shouldn't be an issue without two T25's hanging off the sides. Are you just going by how it sounds?

What kind of Alfa engine was that ?
By primitive variable valve timing are you talking about the phase variator and the two position intake variable timing?

Also I've seen some edge 5W50 at my local (Montreal) Canadian Tyre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back