Toyota Highlander Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
36.gif

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Originally Posted By: bigjl

But what capacity is the 3MZ-FE?

3.3 liters, and a fine engine IMO. It does have a timing belt.

Thanks for that.

Our only cost $10000 with all duties paid in Ghana so I don't think it will be a very high spec one.

I assume the 3.3 usually fitted to the higher spec ones?

I am 90% certain it's has cloth seats not leather, though a local Company makes tailored seat covers for the Highlander (or at least sells them) and they will be an early addition to the vehicle. The red dust you get in Ghana really gets everywhere, it is very fine and similar to the dust you get in the Australian Outback.

I hope to get the specs of the vehicle before I next head over there as I want to buy service parts beforehand. I definitely don't want to start using it before making sure the oil and filter are changed. Once I have a chance to properly look over it I will ask on here for recommendations for the various fluids. We want to get a minimum of 10 years out of this vehicle. Though it will not be the main vehicle as I want a diesel double cab, maybe a Nissan Hardbody or Mitsubishi L200, they do African speciation vehicles with non turbo Diesel engines, manual box etc, heavy duty chassis and suspension. Vodafone use the L200 for their Engineers.

I would say that most Highlanders here had the 3.3 engine. There are some with 2.4s, but I would say they were, at most, 20% of the Highlander population. I could be wrong on that -- just a guess. I don't recall if you said if it was AWD or not. If it's AWD, then I would say that it's extremely likely to have the 3.3.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/highlander/2003/suv/features-specs/

http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/highlander/2004/suv/features-specs/

Assuming these are the years and you are getting a US/North American model as you said.

Vehicle has already been purchased and is in storage at a friends property in Accra.

Only found out recently hence my lack of information on the vehicles exact specifications. It wouldn't have been my first choice, I was looking at converted a RHD Freelander to LHD or going to Germany to find something interesting. At least I have avoided the import process that invariably means you have to pay below the table at some point.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I would say that most Highlanders here had the 3.3 engine. There are some with 2.4s, but I would say they were, at most, 20% of the Highlander population. I could be wrong on that -- just a guess. I don't recall if you said if it was AWD or not. If it's AWD, then I would say that it's extremely likely to have the 3.3.

Haven't seen the vehicle in the flesh and don't know the specs or if it is AWD or FWD, 90% sure its Auto.

At least I have avoided the import process that invariably means you have to pay below the table at some point.

Maybe something to mention to your relative in the police!

90% sure its Auto.

I am 99.99999999999% sure it will have an automatic transmission. I have never seen a manual Highlander in the USA ever.

Like a previous poster said above, it will mostly likely have the 3.3L engine.

Haven't seen the vehicle in the flesh and don't know the specs or if it is AWD or FWD, 90% sure its Auto.

And if it really has 7 seats, it's a 2008 or newer, meaning it probably has the 3.5L V6

If it is the 5 seat model, between 2004 and 2007 it will have the 2.4L 4 or the 3.3L V6
If it's 2003 or older, then it will have the 2.4L 4 or the 3.0L V6

And as others have said, if it's from North America, it will be an automatic.

And if it really has 7 seats, it's a 2008 or newer

Our 2005 has 7 seats. The rear 2 seats fold up from the floor and are suitable for children.

Highlanders are well built, especially 1st generation..just look how many still on the road.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
At least I have avoided the import process that invariably means you have to pay below the table at some point.

Yes, thank you for that plus this:

Actually the facts are I have a Toyota Highlander exported from the US into Ghana by a serving member of the US Army, who happens to be originally from Ghana.

But you originally stated this:

I have never seen the car in person but it is a "virgin" import from the US so has no previous use on Ghana roads.

So he ships the car all the from the US to Ghana only to sell it as soon as it arrives. That makes no sense. Also since the currency in Ghana is so devalued against the American dollar, 4 to 1 that prior to shipping fees someone would only receive $2500 for the Highlander in US dollars if it was purchased in Ghana for $10,000. Then subtract off shipping fees and import fees that for this example I will estimate at $1000. Then that $2500 amount is only worth 1500 in US dollars. I was hoping he would mention what he paid for it.

Our only cost $10000 with all duties paid in Ghana so I don't think it will be a very high spec one.

Sometimes salvage cars here that are worth very little exported to the Caribbean. Then fixed cheap and put back on the road.

Originally Posted By: rustypigeon

And if it really has 7 seats, it's a 2008 or newer

Our 2005 has 7 seats. The rear 2 seats fold up from the floor and are suitable for children.

I see, it must have been optional in earlier years.

I think 2008, 7 seats became the standard configuration.

Thanks for the update.

If you have nothing to add to the thread why bother posting.

Do you want the forum to be full of childish arguments.

And if it really has 7 seats, it's a 2008 or newer, meaning it probably has the 3.5L V6

If it is the 5 seat model, between 2004 and 2007 it will have the 2.4L 4 or the 3.3L V6
If it's 2003 or older, then it will have the 2.4L 4 or the 3.0L V6

And as others have said, if it's from North America, it will be an automatic.

Both of the family/friend owned Highlanders are the same Generation as ours and they are 7 sweaters.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

Actually the facts are I have a Toyota Highlander exported from the US into Ghana by a serving member of the US Army, who happens to be originally from Ghana.

I have never seen the car in person but it is a "virgin" import from the US so has no previous use on Ghana roads.

So he ships the car all the from the US to Ghana only to sell it as soon as it arrives. That makes no sense. Also since the currency in Ghana is so devalued against the American dollar, 4 to 1 that prior to shipping fees someone would only receive $2500 for the Highlander in US dollars if it was purchased in Ghana for $10,000. Then subtract off shipping fees and import fees that for this example I will estimate at $1000. Then that $2500 amount is only worth 1500 in US dollars. I was hoping he would mention what he paid for it.

Sometimes salvage cars here that are worth very little exported to the Caribbean. Then fixed cheap and put back on the road.

So you have never heard of the concept of buying two cars, keeping one for yourself and selling the second on for a profit?

I don't really care what he paid for it, it is worth paying what he wants so I don't have to spend time dealing with customs officials.

Why do you comment on this thread if you just want to start arguments?

Why not just answer the questions I have asked you regarding your baseless comments regarding Ghana.

You still haven't told me the name of the port that you say has loads of Dealer openly selling stolen cars.

Maybe I can take photos of them next time I am over there?

Actually forgot that.

Just go away and be an argumentative idiot somewhere else. Try the comments section of YouTube.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

So you have never heard of the concept of buying two cars, keeping one for yourself and selling the second on for a profit?

I don't really care what he paid for it, it is worth paying what he wants so I don't have to spend time dealing with customs officials.

Why do you comment on this thread if you just want to start arguments?

Why not just answer the questions I have asked you regarding your baseless comments regarding Ghana.

You still haven't told me the name of the port that you say has loads of Dealer openly selling stolen cars.

Maybe I can take photos of them next time I am over there?

Actually forgot that.

Just go away and be an argumentative idiot somewhere else. Try the comments section of YouTube.....

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^his comments are out of hand and childish.

Sadly this thread whilst being very educational to somebody like myself who knows little about American market vehicles has been a bit of a waste of everybodies time.

I can only apologise for that.

The reason I say this is that I had a relative send a picture of the car and it is not a Toyota Highlander, it's. Honda Pilot, 2006 (ish) due to having the Lexus lookalike rear lights.

I am not saying the wife knows next to nothing about cars but .........

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back