2014 Kia Rio - Front brake pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I just changed the oil and inspected front brake pads. I figured it was time to inspect, clean and lubricate everything at 55,000 miles. I was surprised that they have hardly worn at all. Maybe 1/16th of an inch (if that.). I do have new pads I grabbed off Rock Auto. Wagner Quick Stop OEM ceramics. I compared them and the old pads are just a bit thinner but not much at all. Does that seem strange to you all? I went ahead and cleaned and lubricated and reassembled. Everything works fine. I just found it odd. I expected more wear than that. I just put the old pads back in. Saving new ones for later.

I got over 100k on my front OEM pads on my Accent.

Beware the slider pins ans Hyundai uses several different kinds and some are unique and expensive. Same for the boots.

Someone on here had a rio with rear pads that wore out first. Something about the stability control sends more braking power to the rear. CHeck em, at least.

I had a 2004 VW Beetle TDI that I sold last December with 176,000 miles. It had the original front brakes on it, never touched, cleaned, or lubed. Pads had at LEAST 2/3 of material left if not more. I took a picture and uploaded it on here a while back, I'll see if I can find it.

Dealer replaced rear brakes around 104k miles when my aunt owned the car. I'm sure they could have gone further.

Wow, thanks guys. The rear pads and rotors were changed out at 36,000 miles. Passenger side rear caliper failed. Dealer changed it out under warranty. Thanks again for the replys. I guess I'm good to go. I cleaned and greased the slide pins (Sil-Glyde) hardware and pad ears. Everything operating smooth.

I changed the rear on my wife's 2013 Rio at 50K miles along with the rotors. The passenger side rear was badly worn, not so much so on the drivers side. The pads were so tight in the slide ways that I had to hammer them out. I can only think that this is why they wore so fast. I filed the backing on the new pads to fit looser and they seem to be holding up better at 75K miles. The front look pretty new still.

The OEM pads had a dimple that fit in the cross of the piston face. I assumed this was to keep the screw in the piston from turning when the parking brake was applied. It seemed like the parking brake turned the screw in the piston to tighten the caliper rather than work any hydraulics. Out of the five different pads available for that car at NAPA and Advance only two had dimples on the pads. I installed a set without dimples and everything seems to work fine after 25+K miles. Not at all completely sure what those dimples are for.

That's exactly what happened to me. I assumed the caliper was bad, so did the dealer. They replaced it. Its benn 20,000 miles. Next oil change, I'll take a look. Thanks.

I have done that repair a few times. For some reason 2012+ or UB Rio's seem to wear the rear brakes faster than other models. KIA's as a whole are pretty easy on the brakes , and OEM pads/rotors are decent as well. Nice choice with the syl glide. I use it professionally , yet to have a comback since using it. Next time you refresh your pads , take a small layer of of the pad surface with sandpaper or emory cloth. Take the brake pad hardware clips off and clean the rust of the caliper where the hardware sits.

Had to replace fronts on a 2012 Rio at about 75K. While changing them inspected the rear and they looked like they might last another 2K at best so went ahead and replaced them also.

Thanks for all the replys. Yes, my car is driven about 70 miles a day, mostly highway. I guess I'm pretty easy on the brakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back