YA Another Chinese Automobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking forward to seeing the crash test videos.

The SUV has stolen every design cue from EVERYONE. "We took inspiration from all, credit none"

Their designs are getting more mainstream (if not quite original) and they are teaming up with Western companies, bringing in Western design talent...we've seen this before. Wonder if we will all be looking at their cars the same way in a generation.

I can't see myself buying one or wanting to see my family in one until they are well proven, but this is good in the long run; the consumer benefits from more players in the market.

Good news is, they're planning on competing with VW in Europe-at least that's not a really high level to aspire to!
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Good news is, they're planning on competing with VW in Europe-at least that's not a really high level to aspire to!
crazy.gif

VW is the largest vehicle manufacturer in Europe.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Boy, there is some serious borrowing going on there... I see a lot of Porsche.

+ some 50/50 mix with current KIA Sportage on EU market...

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
All the excellent automobiles on the market and why look at what is coming out of China?

You could have said the exact same thing about Korean cars as well. Cars made in China-exported to the U.S. WILL BE MAINSTREAM at some point and the car buying public will care less.

What did the availability of Japanese cars in the 1970's do for the American car market? What kind of vehicles would we have today if not for global competition in auto manufacturing?

If one particular region makes the greatest cars with the highest value what need is there to worry about cars from China?

Just something to ponder.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
What did the availability of Japanese cars in the 1970's do for the American car market? What kind of vehicles would we have today if not for global competition in auto manufacturing?

If one particular region makes the greatest cars with the highest value what need is there to worry about cars from China?

Just something to ponder.

If it were not for the Japanese we would still be driving sedans that weight 2 tons and get ten miles to the gallon. Of course, here on BITOG many would like to go back to those days......

After dealing with so many generic replacement auto parts from China, I'm afraid of buying a car from over there. I visualize a car that needs every bearing replaced after 1-2 years of driving.

When a country has their own car companies, but masses of people buy from car companies based outside their home country, you know you have a huge problem.

I am going to carefully observe car companies based in China. In the past, American drivers assumed Japanese cars would always be awful, then thought Korean cars would always be awful, could China be in the same situation? I also remember that nobody expected east European cars like the Yugo to be good, and they were right. Could China be in that situation instead?

Sometimes I replace OEM parts that are made in the USA, west Europe, or Japan, but aren't any better than discount replacement parts from China.

The John Deere 825i Gator is one of the highest regarded XUV's in America and is powered by a 3 cylinder, OHC, injected, Chinese made and developed automotive engine used in many of their own home grown compact autos. Been a solid performer for many Gator owners.

Not saying bad or good but eother you pay for a U.S. worker to assemble the car or you pay for the workers unemployment.

I hope this never happens and will continue to buy American brands as long as they are obtainable and haven't been pushed under by the race to the bottom.

American brands, huh? Cars made in Mexico, China, Korea, Canada, and some of the worst quality to boot.

Toyota makes the most vehicles in the United States... Are they the most American brand?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
American brands, huh? Cars made in Mexico, China, Korea, Canada, and some of the worst quality to boot.

Toyota makes the most vehicles in the United States... Are they the most American brand?

Honda, Nissan, Subaru, Hyundai/Kia too....

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Can't speak to the auto/pickup market, but the reverse is true for some commercial trucks. When I ordered my semi truck, the dealer only told me after it was delivered that they were keeping their fingers crossed that it would come from the Mexico plant. It didn't, it came from N. Carolina. They spent over 2 weeks fixing mess ups by the NC plant, obtaining missing components, removing stuff that wasn't supposed to be on there, etc. They put the wrong drive axles on the truck and a host of other things. The dealer said they rarely have such problems with the Mexican built units. I guess the folks at the NC plant are just concerned with who the new girl is at Hooters, where they are going to watch the football game or where they are going bass fishing over the weekend, etc to actually pay attention to how the truck in built. Next go around, I am going to special request my semi be built at the Mexican facility. The UAW folks can stick it.

Do we have to have cars made in China? Aren't enough things we buy made there already? We need to wean ourselves off of the China teet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back