JBA or Cherry Bomb Pro mufflers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 7 months of building an engine, replacing everything under the hood, and working through all of the "custom" items that occur when you take on a project like this, I have the new engine running in my Cougar and its time to install the exhaust. I have both Cherry Bomb Pros (a chambered muffler) and some JBA mufflers that came with the exhaust system. they seem to be a two tube baffled design. not sure if they are "turbos" - there is no information available from JBA on their mufflers that I can find.

I know that sound is subjective - does anyone have experience with either? both?

it's on a 1970 Cougar with a 408 stroker; JBA ceramic-coated headers.

Magnaflow
cheers3.gif

There are a couple of videos of the JBA on 68-70 Mustangs on YouTube, they sound pretty tame.

I'd be inclined to use the JBA if they are designed to fit properly with the exhaust and see how they work out, a muffler change later should not be too big of a deal.

I do love DynoMax Ultraflows.

Never heard the Thrush, not usually a fan of that type of muffler. Apparently Thrush is now owned by AP Exhaust which absorbed IMCO Maremont...

I could put on one of each.....

I will probably try them both - inclined to go with the Cherry Bombs though.

The JBA headers themselves are very impressive. VERY thick flanges - and everything went in easily. these headers will not rust or wear out anytime soon.
They did seem to have the tail pipes labelled incorrectly (passenger vs. driver's side)
Installing the exhaust is not as hard as I expected (without a lift.... )

Last edited:
I have JBA mufflers on my 69 Mach 1, as part of a JBA catback system, as well as headers. The system sounds good but is extremely loud. However that may partly be due to the 464 CJ stroker that it is trying to muffle.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Never heard the Thrush, not usually a fan of that type of muffler. Apparently Thrush is now owned by AP Exhaust which absorbed IMCO Maremont...

Incorrect.

Thrush is part of Tenneco, which also makes Walker and Dynomax. (and Monroe shocks and brakes)

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

Incorrect.

Thrush is part of Tenneco, which also makes Walker and Dynomax. (and Monroe shocks and brakes)

You're correct, it is Cherry Bomb that is part of AP Exhaust...

I have no idea why I typed Thrush...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back