Anybody recommend a bank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I'm sick of Chase, have had them for over 6 years and I keep getting declined for large purchases, plenty of money in my account to buy them. The first one was in May for a $1,300 TV. Got a text for that one, asking if it was me. Was actually able to reply to the text with yes and after several attempts it went through. Then in September I bought my iPhone, $992. Everything went well when I ordered it at first, went to bed and woke up the next morning and Chase texted me HOURS later asking if it was me. Then I got a call asking if it was me and I said yes. Payment still didn't go through. Was supposed to be going out of town but I had to call the bank and talk to a couple different people and they took the hold off of my account but was unable to push it through. I had to do the order over again. My aunt ordered her phone at the same time, same amount, and hers didn't get detected as fraud. She has Wells Fargo. Then last night I was at Walmart and got declined, $572. I logged into the Chase app and transferred more money into my checking account, there was more than enough to buy what I needed in the first place. It finally went through after 3 tries. I called Chase and they said there's no setting we can turn off for this, that they detect it as fraud each time. Another time they froze my entire account until I went in was when I spent $108 online a few years back, they detected it as fraud and never contacted me. I found out because I couldn't buy cat food at Petsmart.

What's the point in having a bank if I'm unable to spend my own money?

I have a Bank of America credit card, thinking of opening a checking and savings with them too. I'd like to stay with a large bank so I can use their ATMs all over and be able to go to lots of branches. So a credit union probably won't work.

Anybody have any recommendations on a good bank? Thanks.

Somehow I wound up with TD Bank, which I think was something else, if not several someone elses. Not in your area though.

Sounds like they have a real issue with you. Do you "frequently" use your card/account? We make 1-2 transactions per day it seems, and never have had a problem. Then again, 99% goes through our CC's, not the bank card. We both have cards with cash back, and neither is associated with our bank. If anyone rips off our CC info, they don't have access to our bank account (hopefully! never know with today's security breaches).

Is your Chase card a debit or CC?

Last edited:
Get a Wells Fargo credit card (cash back type). Buy EVERYTHING with it. Pay it off every month. Get cash back. Been working for me for 3 years.

I use a Fidelity card, 2% cash back on everything. Never get declined for anything.

Charles Schwab Bank. No fees, no minimums. No ATM fees and if the terminal charges you a fee, they put it back into your account at the end of the month. Checks are free. Excellent anti fraud, you can let them know you plan a large purchase or a trip somewhere. Fantastic, all US customer service. Interest bearing account.

Discover Bank. Same folks as the credit card, no cc required. Free same as Schwab above, but not sure about ATM fees. Cash back for every transaction.

These two I have had for several years....recently let my CU checking go. I will NOT go back to a bank after beng with these two great organizations.

You may also want to consider Ally Bank, which is also a good setup.

Last edited:
It's a Chase debit card. I buy almost everything with it. I'm in the midst of building up my credit, so my limit on my Bank of America credit card is only $400 currently. Would like to up it in a few months. I'm leaning towards Bank of America because my grandparents have banked with them for over 40 years, no problems. But open to others.

I would recommend a credit union or a small bank. I would totally avoid money center banks as they are robber barons with their fees and shady practices. If you have the money I would use a credit card with rewards rebates for ALL purchases pay the balance in full on time and avoid holding cash.

+1 on the Credit Union recommendation... I was burnt numerous times when Bank of America was Nations Bank.
I've been with a local credit union for over 18 years and have never had an issue.

Not sure if this will be helpful, but ask around about small locally- or regionally-owned banks. There are 2 in my area, although I've only had experience with one. They have been extremely easy to deal with, and when I call I'm not getting some call centre in the Philippines where they read from a flow chart and if your answers aren't on there they can't help you; I'm talking to local New England people.

Smaller banks are also less likely to suffer abuse issues like Wells Fargo.

Not sure about your needing a lot of branch and ATM access. My bank is on SUM and has no-fee access at thousands of ATMs.

Just get a Chase credit card-problem solved. I had issues myself a while back, so I just started making large purchases with the credit card-no issues so far. Then in the next day or too, I just make the payment and pay it right off.

And I will tell you right off the back that other banks seem to do this too-ask me how I know! Even my credit union did it to me....
frown.gif

Thinking this will be one of the reasons some major banks just want to go back to plain old debit cards with the pin again.....

Sounds like they care about your money and watch.

I have chase credit card and find the fraud protection excellent. It's more instant and an email with simply green check or red x you click to approve and deny. Only happens when off my typical spending pattern or when I drive somewhere far without fuel purchase along the way.

I am way too chicken to use a debit card for online stuff.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Past 35 years with credit union.

+1: I'll second "your local credit union".

I'll "third" it. Cannot beat the rates and service of a credit union. Just make sure it is NCUA insured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back