Petronas 7000 0w40 bmw LL01 A3 B4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Petronas is decent quality oil.

I know of a very large Chauffeur fleets that uses it exclusively in their E220cdi Mercedes Executive vehicles, they are well maintained and typically cover 150/180k in three years before being sold off, usually for somebody else to use for Executive work elsewhere.

I doubt they would be able to afford to sponsor Formula 1 teams orherwise.

I always thought they were a German Company. Though it turns out they started out as FS Selena in Italy as part of Fiat in the 1910's

You can read about their history here.

https://www.pli-petronas.com/uk/about/history

Last edited:
See my uoa in the uoa section (sorry, can't put link on my phone)
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bigjl
Petronas is decent quality oil.

I know of a very large Chauffeur fleets that uses it exclusively in their E220cdi Mercedes Executive vehicles, they are well maintained and typically cover 150/180k in three years before being sold off, usually for somebody else to use for Executive work elsewhere.

I doubt they would be able to afford to sponsor Formula 1 teams orherwise.

I always thought they were a German Company. Though it turns out they started out as FS Selena in Italy as part of Fiat in the 1910's

You can read about their history here.

https://www.pli-petronas.com/uk/about/history

That's what their Marketers WANT you to think. All it means is they had a big budget and spent it that particular way. McDonalds must make good hamburgers because their name is on the side of a race car? Honest to God, it has nothing to do with their product but I hear that a LOT around here. Pennzoil must be good because of their relationship with Ferrari. Pennzoil may be good but it has NOTHING to do with who they are paying.

You might want to look into Formula 1 a little more deeply. This isn't a situation where they pay to have a brand name on a car, and they happen to use whatever other brand racing oil floats their boat. All Formula 1 lubes are bespoke for the engines in question, by their petroleum partner, and are adjusted for each race. The same goes for their fuels.

Originally Posted By: Garak
You might want to look into Formula 1 a little more deeply. This isn't a situation where they pay to have a brand name on a car, and they happen to use whatever other brand racing oil floats their boat. All Formula 1 lubes are bespoke for the engines in question, by their petroleum partner, and are adjusted for each race. The same goes for their fuels.

You don't need to tell me how F1 works as I am well aware, although I was a heretic and ran M1 in my 308 GT4 instead of AGIP.

Those oils and fuel are bespoke for F1, agreed. So what is the logic for hillbillies on here stating "I run PYB in my Ford pickup and it must be good oil because Pennzoil sponsors Ferrari." Or judging how good an oil is because of their marketing budget. Whatever is commercially available has nothing to do with what they run in their cars, nor should it be. The people on here with pedestrian Honda Odysseys don't need oils that can withstand 14k rpms and laps at Monaco.

Read his quote. "I doubt they could AFFORD to sponsor an F1 team otherwise...." implies they are big, they have money, their name is on the side of the car.....it must be good. That's not necessarily the case.

Yes, you are a heretic.
wink.gif
Did you get any hate mail from Italy?

The point is that being an F1 petroleum partner does show some level of competence. That's all. It doesn't mean one is buying an F1 lube by using PYB, or anything close to that, nor does it mean one's Odyssey needs an F1 lube.

If they get involved in F1, they have some competencies that some more pedestrian blenders simply might not have. Asking Royal Purple or Amsoil, for instance, to provide onsite UOAs at every venue and at real time and customize fuel and lubricant blends between runs might be beyond their capabilities. Of course, that doesn't mean they make garbage lubes, or that if they had the ability to do so would automatically mean everything they put on the shelf is liquid gold.

Yes, you are a heretic.
wink.gif
Did you get any hate mail from Italy?

If the rest of the Tifosi only knew what I did to that thing, I would have been shot on site.

Did you buy shoddy aftermarket parts, instead of shoddy OEM replacement parts?
wink.gif

One actually can sort of use an F1 lube, at least if one is willing to play a bit with semantics. McLaren states they use Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 in their fleet of trucks for hauling the team around. So, one can use that. I'd gather Ferrari uses some variant of Rimula, though I haven't found any marketing material pushing that. They seem to market the fuel side of things more than the oil side of things.

Here you can actually buy some Elf "F1" lube, or at least "racing" lube. There are many many sorts, all really expensive (120€ / 5L), was looking at that the other day.

One of Canadian Tire's house synthetics is called Formula 1 and has been for years. I'm surprised Bernie hasn't done something about that, assuming they don't have permission, and I doubt they do.

Did you buy shoddy aftermarket parts, instead of shoddy OEM replacement parts?
wink.gif

One actually can sort of use an F1 lube, at least if one is willing to play a bit with semantics. McLaren states they use Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 in their fleet of trucks for hauling the team around. So, one can use that. I'd gather Ferrari uses some variant of Rimula, though I haven't found any marketing material pushing that. They seem to market the fuel side of things more than the oil side of things.

I used aftermarket Subaru Chromoly axle cups and Fiat x1/9 door latches.

Oh and a Griffin radiator and Ford Taurus electric fan. My oil choices were the least of the loyalists worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back