K&N first disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Just received the 33-2360 for the Corolla from Amazon and this is how the filter looks fresh out of the oiled wrapping and box. Back to OE for me. Started refund process.

You are fortunate that you will get your money back. No sense in using that air filter. It won't have the efficiency of the OEM element, and as far as air flow goes, you wouldn't notice a thing. Stick with the Toyota air filter. Best on the market.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I can't understand the draw to Anything K@N. They are a fools filters.

Adds like 30 HP bro!!!

Originally Posted By: mclasser

Adds like 30 HP bro!!!

LOL I guess that's the hype that sells them.

Yeah that's all it takes. Reminds me of airguns- c-rap rules............

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Adds like 30 HP bro!!!

LOL I guess that's the hype that sells them.

I'm not a fan of those filters, but my guess is that was damaged by the careless use of a box knife after it left the K&N factory. I have gotten a number of items that were cut or cut open from a box or utility knife going too deep.

For those with the jabs...

That (increased HP) was never my purpose but who am i stop Statler and Waldorf's fun...

And so many will never understand ~ more airflow will make a computer controlled engine use more gasoline resulting in horrible fuel mileage / I gladly parted with my new K & N at a flea market for a couple bucks

Adds like 30 HP bro!!!
I didn't realize there would be a HP gain! I bet the mpgs will skyrocket as well.

Originally Posted By: heyu
more airflow will make a computer controlled engine use more gasoline resulting in horrible fuel mileage

It really doesn't work that way.

And so many will never understand ~ more airflow will make a computer controlled engine use more gasoline resulting in horrible fuel mileage / I gladly parted with my new K & N at a flea market for a couple bucks

I tossed mine, I felt bad sticking someone with it like I got stuck after I learned about them.

There's lots of computers in there. Engines operate best at a fixed air/fuel ratio, more air, more fuel.

But the real reason not to use them is that the oil droplets tend to fly off and coat your mass air flow sensor. Then you end up with other issues. Not really worth the hassle.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
more airflow will make a computer controlled engine use more gasoline resulting in horrible fuel mileage

It really doesn't work that way.

Yep. Those computers monitor and control the fuel.....so with a K&N it would be about the same. No notice in power or fuel economy. If you noticed horrible fuel economy after installing a K&N it was because you were flooring to see if you noticed any power difference. And you didn't.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Should've got Airaid.

No. The Corolla wont notice any difference with any filter. Airaid does nothing better than an OEM replacement.

The only benefit to a reusable oil mesh filter is if it is kept for the life of the vehicle and is cleaned and reoiled only at 50k intervals or marginally sooner in extremely dusty conditions. Too much or not enough oil is what makes these worthless. If you kept it for 200k miles you save a little coin, if you care enough to drive the car that long.

Originally Posted By: jayg
No. The Corolla wont notice any difference with any filter. Airaid does nothing better than an OEM replacement.

The only benefit to a reusable oil mesh filter is if it is kept for the life of the vehicle and is cleaned and reoiled only at 50k intervals or marginally sooner in extremely dusty conditions. Too much or not enough oil is what makes these worthless. If you kept it for 200k miles you save a little coin, if you care enough to drive the car that long.

I have one for my Buick that I ran on there for 5 years. The filter would never get dirty, so I never had to wash it. The dirt would hit the filter and then fall off to the bottom of the air cleaner box. Worked like a Teflon frying pan. When I replaced the MAF sensor, I went back to a paper filter out of fear that the oil from the Airaid filter possibly destroyed the MAF sensor, but is probably all hype. I believe Airaid makes a better quality filter than K&N.

The problem with oiled filters is people over oil them. They change color and people wash and heavily oil them when you only do it at 50k miles. People don't read the instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back