Ordered a 2017 Subaru Forester 6M

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just ordered my 2017 Forester with a manual transmission last night. The dealer was great to work with and I did not feel slighted because I am one of those "no options, crank windows, and manual tranny" curmudgeonly types. The dealer gladly ordered the car (none on the lot) and sold it for $22k out the door, destination and tax incl. Except for the 90 day wait I couldn't be happier.

As for the CVT bashing comment. Allow me to share my actual experience with my current vehicle, a 2015 Honda CR-V with CVT. I am thankfully trading this vehicle on the Forester. I am currently on my second CV tranny in 26,000 miles which is also starting to act up. The final straw was this month's recall on all 2015 & 2016 CR-Vs. The recall specified that certain conditions may allow operation of the tranny without proper lubrication resulting in overheating and accelerated wear. If a code was present, the tranny would be replaced. I was lucky and did not have the code at this time, but the nature of the recall proved to me that I did not just get a random defective tranny, but there are basic flaws in the design and execution of these units. I lost all confidence that the tranny would last over the long haul. The unfortunate part of this is that in almost every way the CR-V was an excellent vehicle. For the record, 34 of my 36 mile commute is at 65 MPH on the highway, and I do not have a heavy foot, as I get 31+ MPG. OCI is 5k with M1 0w-20 ESP.

Last edited:
JosephH1, I don't blame you there, but I believe if you poke around, you won't find this type of CVT issue, even with Subaru's first generation of them that started coming out in 2009, with the 2010 model year Legacy and Outback. Your commute sounds like mine, except I'm going from East Aurora to the city of Niagara Falls NY.

Hate to sound like a broken record on this Subaru manual transmission thing, but I hope you folks that special ordered your 6spd manuals have actually driven one for a decent test drive. I did test drive my 2014 XV Crosstrek 5spd, but grew to loathe that 5spd after a few months with it.

Last edited:
I was unable to test drive the forester with the stick, as there were none in the state. If I can deal with the NP435 in my 67 F250, I bet this will feel awesome! I seem to remember Consumer Reports describing the manual as slick-shifting, but don't quote me on that. I'm 99% sure the CVT would have been the better choice, but I love a manual transmission and they're getting scarce. Figured while I can still buy a new car with a stick, I may as well... Hope it isn't a terrible experience. What exactly was wrong with your 5 speed? Notchy? I plan on replacing the transmission oil with Redline (unless there is a favorite among Subaru owners) after about 5k miles.

Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
.. What exactly was wrong with your 5 speed? Notchy? I plan on replacing the transmission oil with Redline (unless there is a favorite among Subaru owners) after about 5k miles.

On my 2014 XV Crosstrek 5spd, I found the gate and throw to the shifter to be fine. What I didn't like was the non-linear clutch engagement, the ratios and the placement of the clutch and brake pedals (too close). It was tough to get a consistently smooth take-off in first without really working at it. It's possible the more powerful 2.5L would have helped that. Reverse gear was very high, so backing up even on the slightest of inclines resulted in burning clutch smell. I never did, but if you ever got stuck and needed to "rock" the vehicle, you'd really put a hurting on the clutch lining. I couldn't wear winter boots and not hit the brake pedal w/ the clutch because of the pedal spacing. Subarus have never been known for their slick manual transmissions, but I haven't heard too many complaints in regards to the 6spd, so you're a step ahead there. Just for the record, I owned many 4 and 5spd manuals in the past, in trucks, SUVS and cars. I leaned to drive with manuals.

The 6MT is a decided improvement over the 5MT from all I've heard. No experience personally, as I have the old 4 speed automatic in mine (ancient, uncertain, but bullet proof).

Subaru's own Extra S fluid is pretty good.

Originally Posted By: JosephH1
As for the CVT bashing comment. Allow me to share my actual experience with my current vehicle, a 2015 Honda CR-V with CVT. I am thankfully trading this vehicle on the Forester. I am currently on my second CV tranny in 26,000 miles which is also starting to act up. The final straw was this month's recall on all 2015 & 2016 CR-Vs.

Honda have had a few problems with their CVTs, and I believe Nissan had lots.

But Subaru make their own CVTs rather than buying them in, and the only Subaru CVT failures I'm aware of are a handful that were filled with the wrong transmission fluid at some point in their lives (typically due to someone draining the transmission by accident during an oil change, then filling it with ordinary ATF), and one whose belt snapped under heavy load due to a manufacturing defect.

Originally Posted By: emg

But Subaru make their own CVTs rather than buying them..

As far as I know and based on conversations we've had here on this topic in the past, Subaru's CVTs are made specifically for Subaru by Jatco.

Just an update to the topic, the forester is scheduled to arrive Nov 14th. Getting excited. Not about the payment haha

Be here before you know it!

Did you get a Premium or base model? My 2016 is a base, in dark grey metallic that came with aluminum wheels. The only thing aftermarket I did to it right away was have all the rear glass tinted.

My sister-in-law has a 2016 Forester 6spd that she uses as her work vehicle. I'll have to take it for a ride to see how it compares to my XV Crosstrek's 5spd..

It is the 2.5i Premium in jasmine green metallic. I'm still going to get some aftermarket tint film on all glass. Cut down on heat much better than the factory tinted glass. Probably going with ceramic this time. Including sunroof and the windshield very light. Plus I'll be installing a tow hitch and wiring. That's about it. .

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: emg

But Subaru make their own CVTs rather than buying them..

As far as I know and based on conversations we've had here on this topic in the past, Subaru's CVTs are made specifically for Subaru by Jatco.

That is weird since Toyota owns part of Subaru and Aisin. I know Jatco makes Nissan, Dodge, and Mitsubishi. So as far as i knew all Jatcos were belts and Subarus are chains.

Finally got it. Loving it so far but within about 17 hours of owning it, someone randomly egged it and scratched the driver door up there. I got the windows tinted all the way around with llumar ceramic.

Nice! You'll love it. I'm not sure the degree of tint I had put on all the rear glass, but it's definitely darker than the OEM tinted glass. Mine being a base model looked way too aquarium like with no factory tint what so ever. A few days after taking ownership of mine, I noticed a light scratch pretty much all the way round the roof perimeter. Looks as if they possibly did it when removing the white plastic shipping film, but I'll never know. When I picked it up I caught my sales boob doing all the PDI work. Nice.

If you go on the Subaru boards CVT failures are not common place. Some complaints about "roughness" at times but no failures.

I have 52,000 miles on my wife's 2012 Legacy/CVT and no issues.

Last edited:
Mine is the 6 speed stick. I gotta get used to the seating position and couple other things, but I think we're really going to be happy with it. Going to order a tow hitch and maybe the roof rail cross bars to carry a basket or cargo box up top. I know it's a Subaru, but it's too nice to tear up inside with firewood or whatever when we go camping.

Mine is the 6 speed stick. I gotta get used to the seating position and couple other things...

You definitely sit up higher in the Forester and have tons more headroom than other Subaru models. I had a 2012 Legacy and 2014 XV Crosstrek prior to my 2016 Forester. There's a lot more room around the driver or passengers in a Forester. You're more encapsulated in a XV/Impreza or Legacy. As an example, I have to stretch my left arm out to reach the door armrest on my Forester, where the door was basically mashed up against me on the XV and right up close to you on the Legy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back