Need to replace one tire but can't get the same

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
How old are they? Michelin tires have a 6 year defect warranty. Take it into a shop and they'll probably pro-rate it based on how much tread they have, so if you've used 30% of the tread, they'll give you 70% off a replacement tire.

I don't see why it would matter that it's the exact same tire.

+1 It's worth a shot but regardless I would replace the rubber. I wouldn't risk driving on a tire like that

Originally Posted By: OCDriver
Going on an '04 G35 coupe, btw.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
I'd replace it.

My opinion on the other depends on many things including but not limited to: How old are the other three, how worn are the other three and how similar is the current generation of the tire.

Ah, sorry, I forgot these details.

According to the DOT code, the tires were manufactured in April/May 2009, but the tread is in excellent condition on all four tires. There's like 80% tread left. Unforunately, Michelin doesn't make the latest generation of these tires (PA4) in this size.

PA3 tread vs. PA4 tread. They're both assymetrical. The PA3's are not directional; can install on any corner. The PA4's might be directional in some variants, but I can't quite tell from the product literature.

In any case, the PA4's are not even made in the size that I have (235/45r18), the only possible option in that model would be to buy two 245/45r18's and put them in the back. Looks like they only come in runflats in that size, too, not sure how much of a difference that makes.

Quote:
How old are they? Michelin tires have a 6 year defect warranty.

I bought them used. Michelin says the warranty isn't transferable.

TireRack shows that tire in stock, and on sale right now:

Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 in 235/40R/18

Are you sure yours are 45's and not 40's?

They also rank very well on the TR list, so I'd wager your issue is extremely uncommon or hazard induced.

Quote:
They also rank very well on the TR list, so I'd wager your issue is extremely uncommon or hazard induced.

You're probably right. Our roads are total garbage and avoiding potholes and bumps is physically impossible at times.

Quote:
+1 It's worth a shot but regardless I would replace the rubber. I wouldn't risk driving on a tire like that

I bought them used. Warranty is not available.

Quote:
Are you sure yours are 45's and not 40's?

Yes, mine are 235/45/18. I might be able to run 235/40/18 in the front, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
There's a ton of PA3's on eBay

Unfortunately, none in the right size.

So, the closest thing I can find in the right size are Pirelli Sottozero 240 Serie II.

Has anyone had experience with the PA3's and the Pirellis? I'd like to know how they compare for driving feel and general snow traction.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
At least replace in pairs front or back...although personally if you can afford it..replace all 4.

Agreed

Pick out your best 2 and put them on the rear. Buy 2 new tires of similar quality and put them on the front.

Originally Posted By: egomolka
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
At least replace in pairs front or back...although personally if you can afford it..replace all 4.

Agreed

Pick out your best 2 and put them on the rear. Buy 2 new tires of similar quality and put them on the front.

That plan sounds fine to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back