high cost to mount and balance tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
go to Walmart and get lifetime rotation/balance for cheap and good for the life of your tires.
go to Firestone and get the lifetime alignment for cheap and good for the life of your car.
pay once and done until the next replacement.

Originally Posted By: pacem
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: pacem
Northern Va Area, I see quotes like 35-40 to mount and balance 1 tire. So to do all 4 is between 140-160 plus tax.

What size rim and tire? Many shops will charge extra to mount and balance large rims and low profile tires.

Also, take a look at the list of TireRack recommended installers in your area. They list their prices so that you can compare.

http://www.tirerack.com/installer/Installer.jsp

very normal 275-45-16

That's a rather unusual size.

And 45 aspect ratio is considered low profile by most shops and they charge extra for installing it.

Firestone here charges $40 mount and $40 balance for each tire if you did not buy it from them. Yes $80!

There is a Mexican tire shop around the corner from me and they only charge $5 mount and $5 balance.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Firestone here charges $40 mount and $40 balance for each tire if you did not buy it from them. Yes $80!

No wonder they can afford those constant commercials on TV.

dang! when i had the local Ford Dealer install some Pirelli's i got from tire rack on the Neon back in...2012?... they only charged me something like $12.50 each. $50 plus tax out the door.

Last edited:
The last sets of tires I had mounted/balanced were somewhere between $85 and $100. One set was at a Firestone Complete Auto Care (that was now several years ago) and the other was at DT.

Mom and pop with less liability in lawsuit tends to charge less. My local mom and pop charge me $20-26 per tire instead of $40 by big franchise.

About $25 each at my preferred shop for mount and roadforce balance. Never had an out of balance tire or dinged rim. They also use stick-on weights with decent adhesive. Yes, there's cheaper to be had. Whatever, my time is worth something too.

http://www.harborfreight.com/manual-tire-changer-62317.html

laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142

There is a Mexican tire shop around the corner from me and they only charge $5 mount and $5 balance.

That's the going rate at many shops in Wilmington or Long Beach. You pull in and four floor jacks have your rig in the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back