Talk to me about a...umm...errr...Glock 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to say thanks to everyone in the thread for posting experiences and views. I pulled the trigger (literally) on two Gen 4 19's today. I shot it again at the range and my wife liked it too so we added two to the collection. Academy had them on sale and has a 10% off everything coupon in the store this weekend (including firearms) so $550 each out the door and they came with 3 magazines.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I wanted to say thanks to everyone in the thread for posting experiences and views. I pulled the trigger (literally) on two Gen 4 19's today. I shot it again at the range and my wife liked it too so we added two to the collection. Academy had them on sale and has a 10% off everything coupon in the store this weekend (including firearms) so $550 each out the door and they came with 3 magazines.
I would have thought you would get the 43 and the 19

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
I would have thought you would get the 43 and the 19
The 43's can be added later
grin.gif

I ran about 150 rounds through mine today and all I can say is that I am impressed. My groups are tighter and the sight acquisition is much faster with the "drop in the bucket" sights versus the traditional 3 dot sights (I never would have guessed that). In addition, after adding the medium back strap with the beaver tail, I like the grip much better. My wife had equal luck with hers (also using the medium beavertail back strap). The Gen 4 pistols feel nothing like the Gen 1's I shot so many years ago. I guess you can say I am either drinking the koolaid or I have been assimilated, either way, I am now a Glock convert--which is no mean feat.

10 shots at 7 yards (first volley out of the box):

I thought the Gen 4 had several different backstraps that could be interchanged or is that not to what you are referring?

They do -- but the hump in the back is still too large and not placed right for my hands -- with the 19. It falls below the meat of my palm with the 17 (no problem) and tucks right into my palm with the 26 (no problem). The 19 just doesn't fit me.

I see you bought two, and shoot them well. Great deal!!

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I thought the Gen 4 had several different backstraps that could be interchanged or is that not to what you are referring?

They do -- but the hump in the back is still too large and not placed right for my hands -- with the 19. It falls below the meat of my palm with the 17 (no problem) and tucks right into my palm with the 26 (no problem). The 19 just doesn't fit me.

I see you bought two, and shoot them well. Great deal!!

That is the exact problem some people have with the 19. The hump on the 26 fits in the center of my palm just perfect. Many people on the Glock forums find they shoot the 26 better than the larger 19 or 17. A lot of it just has to do with hand size.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
The 19 just doesn't fit me.
Originally Posted By: bradepb
A lot of it just has to do with hand size.
I am certain everything has to do with hand size. For example, on me the G26 is a "one and a half finger" pistol because I can manage to place my middle finder and part of my ring finger on the grip. My small finger wraps under the bottom of the magazine and is likely why I did not care for the G26 I had back in the 90s. I want to see how the G43 feels the next time I am at the range.

Originally Posted By: bradepb
That is the exact problem some people have with the 19. The hump on the 26 fits in the center of my palm just perfect. Many people on the Glock forums find they shoot the 26 better than the larger 19 or 17. A lot of it just has to do with hand size.

The 26 fits me just about as good as any pistol does. The hump is in THE right place for me. I'll probably own a 26 one day. I always have said I'll own a Glock. I just haven't done it. Yet.

I owned a Gen 1 Glock 26 back in the 90s

Strictly for accuracy's sake, and my own OCD, you didn't own a Gen 1 Glock 26. No such thing exist.

LOVE the news that the Marines Force Recon troops are piggy backing off the Navy Seals purchase, and are buying Glock 19 pistols as well. This is EXCELLENT news.

Makes sense, since the Marines are a department of the Navy. The Men's department.

The military testing/acquisition process is so onerous, its just fantastic that some head honcho found a way to buy world class service pistols and bypass the nonsense. Hopefully this trend continues and more and more folks are outfitted with these Glock 19 pistols.

I'm a huge fan of the Beretta 92 platform. I use a railed Beretta 92G with flashlight/laser mounted(decocker only, no safety) as my nightstand gun. But if I was going into harms way as a soldier, and had to carry that weight, I'd pick a Glock 19/17 every time.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I owned a Gen 1 Glock 26 back in the 90s
Strictly for accuracy's sake, and my own OCD, you didn't own a Gen 1 Glock 26. No such thing exist.
OK; how would you refer to the first Glock 26 model? Since the subsequent models were named Gen 2, Gen 3, and now Gen 4, I am not sure what else it should be called and retain clarity over which version you are discussing.
confused.gif

As an example, the Glock 43 was never around back then. So while it is the first Glock 43, it is still considered in Glock's 4th generation pistol line. It wouldn't be a Gen 1 Glock 43.

Same with the Glock 26. It was never around when the 1st generation pistols were. Going off memory, it was introduced in the middle of gen 2 and gen 3, and the first pistols were what are called gen 2.5 pistols, as they had traits of gen 2 and gen 3 pistols, but were not full fledged gen 3 pistols. That's how I remember it at least, and I stand to be corrected if any die hard Glock guys are around.

I found this quick quote on the interwebs:

- 1st Generation has the smooth, rounded “pebble-grip”.
- 2nd Generation has the “Grenade-style” checkering with NO fingergrooves (see picture).
- 3rd Generation has BOTH fingergrooves AND accessory rail on the front dustcover.
- If you have a subcompact (G-26, -27, -28, -29, -30, -33, -36) OR a “transition model” when Glock was putting fingergrooves but no accessory rail, then you have a 2.5 Generation. There is even a slight variation here, as some of the earliest G-26 & G-27s had smooth fingergrooves, without checkering in-between the grooves. Some people do not count the sub-compacts as 2.5 Gen since they came out after the 3rd Gen frames were already being made. Note: newer -29, -30 are now coming with rails.

I started, and still am, a SIG P-Series and 1911 guy. They fit the hand well, are easy to control, and easy on the eyes. They shoot well and experienced shooters can run them like mad.

I started shooting IDPA a year ago this month and have been working to shoot as fast as I accurately can. I bought a Glock 19 for concealed carry and ended up buying a G34 after taking a class with Bob Vogel. For people with bigger hands and lots of hand strength (I'm 6'4", 255 lbs, and can close a Captains of Crush #2 hand gripper), the Glock can sing faster than anything else.

My G19 came with Ameriglo night sights (u-notch rear and orange outline front). They are superior to the stock Glock sights, but not nearly as nice as the Dave Spaulding Ameriglo CAP sights (highly recommended). I've also installed and run two different Ghost trigger connectors in it. The ones that are adjustable for overtravel can really make a Gen 4 trigger run a lot faster.

Mags are cheap. Holsters are plentiful. Modifications are easy. For a competitive shooter that can run one, the Glock is really a no-brainer. They're not as nice as my Colts or my SIGs (or even my 92A1), but they do shoot fast and accurately when they are driven correctly.

I must like them a lot since I own three of them, a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th generation. I bought my 2nd gen G19 in 1997 so I have a lot of years experience using them. They are reliable, durable, light, and pretty accurate. I'm a smaller guy at 5'4" and 178 lbs and can easily conceal carry a G19.

I CC this gun using a RM holster works lowrider IWB holster. One of the most comfortable IWB holsters I have used.

I also bought a G43 last year and it is now my most used CC gun riding in the same brand of holster as I have for my G19.

Wayne

I have the 17 and 26 in 9mm, the 23 in 40 and the 30 in 45. I like the diversity of caliber at the range and I love the 'manual of arms' for tear-down and cleaning. Having a consistent safety from gun to gun is also a big plus in my book. I'm a big believer in capacity so I've settled on the 23 as my favorite compromise between size and cap. Holster-wise, I've tried most of them. I love the artistry and craftsmanship of the high end customs but find myself using a cheap clip-on most frequently because of the ease of on-off and fast draw characteristics.

The only other gun I've been tempted to buy is a custom 1911 but so far I've kept that $3K+ in my pocket.

As a data point, I bought two gen 4 Glock 19s on Monday.

One of the best all around pistols you can get....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back