Schaeffers 238 for 2016 Suburban Tie Rod Ends

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my new 2016 Suburban, I was happy to see grease fitting on the tie rod ends. I didn't notice any other zerk fittings?

I was thinking of using Schaeffers 238 or Valvoline SynPower. I have both on hand. Not knowing what is in the new tie rod ends I don't want to have a compatibility issue.

Owners manual specs. Chassis Lubricant (GM Part No. 12377985, in Canada 88901242) or
lubricant meeting requirements of NLGI #2, Category LB or GC-LB.

I do not see GC-LB on the specs for Schaeffers. GC-LB is on the Valvoline.

Last edited:
Schaeffers 238 is all I use in these types of joints, its the best there is IMO, never a failure even in extreme applications. Its an aluminum complex base so no compatibility issues with lithium complex.
The Valvoline is okay but compared to the 238 its thinner and doesn't hang in there as long personally for me its second string. If you have the 238 use it!

I would wager its a lithium complex grease like 99% of auto greases. The shaeffers is aluminum complex and may or may not play well. The Synpower is lithium complex and I would bet its the safer choice.

I've found the Synpower to be a top notch grease which lasts longer than other readily available greases. Cannot compare it directly to the Schaefers, though.

Synpower has a base oil with kV on a thin side. Other than that, it's a decent grease.. it would be a decent grease, if it were $3 per tube

I called Schaeffers. Spoke to Karen, she said that there shouldn't be any problem with 238 and compatibility with factory grease which is most likely lithium complex based. I'm still undecided on which grease to use.

Last edited:
thumbsup2.gif

Then I guess you just need to decide is the increased cost and difficult access worth a slight improvement in service interval?

Originally Posted By: zfasts03
I called Schaeffers. Spoke to Karen, she said that there shouldn't be any problem with 238 and compatibility with factory grease which is most likely lithium complex based. I'm still undecided on which grease to use.

There is no compatibility issue with parts filled with GM OE grease or any others I have used it on. I have joints here that were new OE and have been greased with the 238 for the last 10 years and over 100K on some of them, no problems, all the joints are tight.
If you don't want the 238 I will buy it from you.
thumbsup2.gif

No big deal even if they "don't play well together". Use the product you prefer, once some excess begins to purge past the boots, gently pump 5 or 5 more gentle strokes to fully purge the OE residual. You may not get it all the first time, but you won't leave much either.

prs

No big deal even if they "don't play well together". Use the product you prefer, once some excess begins to purge past the boots, gently pump 5 or 5 more gentle strokes to fully purge the OE residual. You may not get it all the first time, but you won't leave much either.

prs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back