Zerex G48 where to find this unicorn in the USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed that Valvoline DOES manufacture G-48
under the Zerex G-48 name, and have seen the actual container here on a Valvoline site.

Where can you actually buy this in the USA?

OK, Valvoline folks fess up.

Last edited:
They may not stock it, but if you go into an O'Reilly or NAPA, they should have a catalog that they can order from.

O'Reilly gave us several reference catalogs with various Euro related coolants- and I thought I saw the G-48 in there?

The NAPA and a regional parts house in the next town over has several Dow and Pentafrost products- so you may get lucky that way.

If I think about it, I'll see if I can come up with a part number for you.

I found Pentosin SF and NF- the part numbers are 8114107 and 8114117. I don't think either is what you're after, but wasn't entirely sure.

Also found a Mercedes number- Q1030004, and that is G-48, but it wouldn't cross in my parts supplier's websites.

Lastly, I found an Ashland G-48 product code- 798694, but that's not coming up either.

Once I get to the shop, I'll look up the reference material and see what I can find.

I use Pentofrost NF in my G48 application (Oreilly's has it on the shelf), as I was never able to find Zerex G48.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
I found Pentosin SF and NF- the part numbers are 8114107 and 8114117. I don't think either is what you're after, but wasn't entirely sure.

Also found a Mercedes number- Q1030004, and that is G-48, but it wouldn't cross in my parts supplier's websites.

Lastly, I found an Ashland G-48 product code- 798694, but that's not coming up either.

Once I get to the shop, I'll look up the reference material and see what I can find.

Thanks The_Eric! A lot of us have Euro cars that use just that
my 96 VW Golf came with BASF Glysantin G-48 from the factory.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

Thanks The_Eric! A lot of us have Euro cars that use just that
my 96 VW Golf came with BASF Glysantin G-48 from the factory.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, I bought a jug of Beck & Arnley G48 blue for my Volvo. Kira

Good call Kira! I didn't realize that Beck Arnley offered that formulation- in fact when I went to the shop to look up in our reference book, it isn't listed. Only the Asian formulations and the Pentosin SF and NF.

A quick search of the web found it though. Part number 252-1020

Beck Arnley antifreeze PDF

Interesting I found this on the Valvoline Australia site, along with a G-05 offering as well.
vgn-ext-temp...0003aa73795RCRD

0945.05%20Zerex%20G48%20Concentrate%205L%20profile.png

Last edited:
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, which might be frowned upon, but I have news.

After never having seen a bottle of Zerex G48 in my life, I called NAPA and asked them if they could order it for me. The guy said of course he can get Zerex G05 and asked me how many bottles I want. Then I said G48, he said it doesn't exist, but he would be happy to check the computer. He checked, and two days later they had the two gallons I asked for. Apparently, any NAPA can order G48.

While it was a productive experiment, and I now have the coolant for my Volvo for a few dollars cheaper than the Volvo dealership wanted, it was exactly the same price that I payed at the BMW dealership for BMW coolant. They're all G48. So, with NAPA being someplace I tend to pass by daily, and the BMW dealership just slightly further and a bit more out of the way, it worked out okay. But if your local NAPA price is cheaper, this would probably be a pretty good deal.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Interesting I found this on the Valvoline Australia site, along with a G-05 offering as well.

Yeah Valvoline Australia only offer three Zerex coolants: G-05, G-48 and DEX-COOL

I'm running the Valvoline Dex-Cool in my GM car, and I ran the G-05 in my Japanese motorcycle.

I think Valvoline make good coolants.

Yo nthach, Tesla has a call for coolant? I wonder where it goes. Kira

It's to cool down the traction electronics. Just like how a hybrid car has a coolant loop to cool down the inverter and part of the transaxle - unless it's a Honda IMA/Subaru or GM belt-based system - GM's Voltec in the Volt and the Allison-based system in the Tahoe/Escalade Hybrid do use coolant - the Allison system uses ATF.

The Chevy Bolt uses plain-jane Dex-Cool for it's coolant needs.

Last edited:
As far as I know, Pentosin NF is exactly the same as BASF/Glysantin G48. It's expensive, though. Usually $12-$15 per 1.5 liter bottle. Probably because it's made in Germany.

Last edited:
Yo nthach, Tesla has a call for coolant? I wonder where it goes. Kira

The electronics that convert low voltage DC current into high voltage AC or DC current can get extremely hot, and that makes liquid cooling essential. If you want to see an example of this, take a look at high end gaming computers that are custom built by hardcore video game enthusiasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back