2002 camry evap p0440

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car was fine until I had to put a fuel filler neck in to pass state inspection. Not for OBD-II but for generally rustiness.

Used a new spectra neck from Rockauto. This POS is ill fitting-- sticks 1/2 inch out of the rear quarter panel. But it is/should be vapor and fuel tight on the hose nipples. I've run a couple tanks through with no problem.

Got a P0440 almost immediately. Takes two trips; first sets a pending code, 2nd locks it in.

The hoses and clamps are fine... the gas hose, a 5/16" hose, and a 3mm-ish super-tiny hose.

I got a screen grab from "Techstream" that seems to show it works fine when the built-in vacuum pump does its test but not without. So the tank will hold a vacuum and pass? I don't fully understand...

Finally, they made me do tank straps as well. I was ginger but might have smooshed something tender up top, rust-wise. I pulled the rear seat and checked through a plug in there that views the top of the tank... has surface rust but it doesn't leak fuel when filled.

Thoughts?

Current cap seems to fit fine. No cracks in the rubber gasket. I wonder of course if it's hitting an ever slightly different part of the o-ring. It's one of those quarter-turn, one-click caps.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Current cap seems to fit fine. No cracks in the rubber gasket. I wonder of course if it's hitting an ever slightly different part of the o-ring. It's one of those quarter-turn, one-click caps.

Kinda sounds that way...

I guess I don't get it. Negative pressure values means vacuum; but is the test value the amount it applies, or the amount it measured? If it's measured, then I wonder if the vacuum pump is somehow blocked--the sensor can read the vacuum, but it never sees what air gets let into the system. [Obviously air can get in, else it'd stall. Hence the thought that the pump itself is somehow isolated from the system.]

If you remove the cap and rerun the test, does it fail on all tests? I mean, force a failure and see what happens, as a sanity check.

Unfortunately I don't know much about evap systems.

Last edited:
If the neck was rusted though and the straps were rusted bad, then probably everything else up in there is rusted bad too. And when you started fixing things you moved something and that made it leak. I never had an EVAP problem but I had a number of vehicles with rot back there and it seemed to get just about everything. That's what killed my last Geo Metro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back