Need to replace one tire but can't get the same

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my winter tires out from storage yesterday to install them on my car, but noticed that one of them has a couple of bulges in the sidewall. One's about the size of a silver dollar, the other a quarter, both raised only a bit.

I've gotten so many mixed responses on this... from "don't worry about it" to "replace it immediately" and everything in between! And then I've been told it's not big deal to replace it any old winter tire of the same size... or that I must replace all of them so the tread and wear is even. As much as I'd be happy to replace it with the exact same model (Michelin Pilot Aplin PA3), it's discontinued and not available anywhere.

So two questions from this:

What's the BtOG consensus on running this tire? And what of replacing it with a different, but similar model?

Last edited:
I'd replace it.

My opinion on the other depends on many things including but not limited to: How old are the other three, how worn are the other three and how similar is the current generation of the tire.

donate the one tire to a used tire place and buy another set.

The one going bad is a warning sign.. discontinued..another sign.

see if you can find a used PA3 in your size on ebay/CL/kijiji

If not, just get a PA4, if it's available in your size.

How old are they? Michelin tires have a 6 year defect warranty. Take it into a shop and they'll probably pro-rate it based on how much tread they have, so if you've used 30% of the tread, they'll give you 70% off a replacement tire.

I don't see why it would matter that it's the exact same tire.

Going on an '04 G35 coupe, btw.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
I'd replace it.

My opinion on the other depends on many things including but not limited to: How old are the other three, how worn are the other three and how similar is the current generation of the tire.

Ah, sorry, I forgot these details.

According to the DOT code, the tires were manufactured in April/May 2009, but the tread is in excellent condition on all four tires. There's like 80% tread left. Unforunately, Michelin doesn't make the latest generation of these tires (PA4) in this size.

PA3 tread vs. PA4 tread. They're both assymetrical. The PA3's are not directional; can install on any corner. The PA4's might be directional in some variants, but I can't quite tell from the product literature.

In any case, the PA4's are not even made in the size that I have (235/45r18), the only possible option in that model would be to buy two 245/45r18's and put them in the back. Looks like they only come in runflats in that size, too, not sure how much of a difference that makes.

Quote:
How old are they? Michelin tires have a 6 year defect warranty.

I bought them used. Michelin says the warranty isn't transferable.

Last edited:
Get the pair of tires and save the 5th good one for if another goes bad.

Are these on rims or loose? B/C you could rotate through all five.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Get the pair of tires and save the 5th good one for if another goes bad.

Are these on rims or loose? B/C you could rotate through all five.

They're currently in the garage, mounted on my OEM rims. I have summer tires on different rims on the car right now.

Last edited:
Michelin tires don't seem to be built to the high standards they once were.
What looks like a serious failure in one tire will likely be only a few K down the road on the other three.
Buy some new winters in a reputable brand.
Bridgestone makes great dedicated winters.
Michelin looks to be coasting on their former reputation as the best tires you could buy.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
What looks like a serious failure in one tire will likely be only a few K down the road on the other three.
Michelin looks to be coasting on their former reputation as the best tires you could buy.

Shame on you for even inferring that Michelin (the gift from the tire gods) are not the tires they once were. I guess since the tires spent half of their life inside (being stored) that's why they were not dry rotting.....
eek.gif

Last edited:

What is wrong with Michelin? I got the Premier 50k rated tire with extra silicone and "evergrip" grooves, balanced on a Road Force. Tires be worn out before they start cracking.

Last edited:
There's a ton of PA3's on eBay, new unused. Just replace the one that's bulging and keep an eye out through the winter. It's not like they will see a lot of elevated temps during the fall and winter
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

What is wrong with Michelin? I got the Premier 50k rated tire with extra silicone and "evergrip" grooves, balanced on a Road Force. Tires be worn out before they start cracking.

I hope the Koolaid tastes great!

Last edited:
Michelin makes some great tires. So do other brands.

But no tire company makes only perfect tires. Not a single one.

This place is so polarized it is ridiculous...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back