Husqvarna 525LS 50 hour review (pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in April I picked up a new Husky 525LS trimmer. I definitely didn't need another trimmer since I had a new Stihl FS94R and new Husky 327LDX combi tool. When I got it home the first thing I did was a simple cat converter bypass by drilling through the baffle.

As per the owner's manual, the unit was set pig rich from the factory and they recommended burning 8 to 10 tanks of fuel before adjusting the carb. I think that I adjusted the carb somewhere around that time and it had to be leaned on both the low and high side. The carb is fully adjustable with a spline tool and it allows about a half turn in either direction with just a flat screwdriver.

The trimmer cranks on no more than the third pull when cold and the first pull when warm thereafter. I love that it has instant throttle response and will turn 9400 RPM with 7.5 inches of .95" line. It really revs better than any trimmer I've ever used. It is super smooth and there is no vibration at all throughout the entire RPM range. No more numb hands at all even when using this for extended periods of time.

It has toolless access to the air filters and spark plug which is nice since some trimmers (Stihl 94R) require a T27 driver to access the filter and plug. Speaking of the air filters, this unit employs a foam pre-filter and a felt main filter. It has been very dry here this year and subsequently, there has been a lot of dust generated while trimming. I have seen no fines past the filters so they must be doing a good job trapping dirt. .

This trimmer came with the T35X head which has a ball bearing in the bump cap and doesn't easily scuff when bumping it on hard surfaces. That being said, I still prefer the Shindaiwa/Echo SpeedFeed heads since they can be loaded quicker and more easily than any other type. I have the middle size 400 head on there and I prefer it's compromise of capacity and size over the two other sizes.

I've been operating trimmers since 1984 and have used trimmers from all the major players and I can say that this is by far the best unit I've ever had the pleasure of running.

Nice trimmer. Is that a Scag zero turn I see? How do you like it, which model? I'm in the market for a 52-60" for next year.

I would have waited unil the end of the warranty to drill it out like that. It does make it rev somewhat higher but I don't think it's worth losing the $$ value of the warranty.

Originally Posted By: RhondaHonda
Nice trimmer. Is that a Scag zero turn I see? How do you like it, which model? I'm in the market for a 52-60" for next year.

Thanks and good attention to detail. The mower is a Scag Freedom Z 48". I think they make some of the best mowers made for the money and I have a great local dealer. If you have a dealer nearby look at all the mowers that they have to offer.

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
I would have waited unil the end of the warranty to drill it out like that. It does make it rev somewhat higher but I don't think it's worth losing the $$ value of the warranty.

My dealer knows what I did and doesn't care that I did it. He even said that it would make the trimmer run cooler and it may extend it's service life.

Nice review. I picked up the exact same trimmer from my local dealer in July. It was on sale for $279.99 at the time! It is absolutely my favorite trimmer that I've ever used. I've got about 25 hours on mine. It's working beautifully.

Cool! Nice looking unit! How is the overall power level compared to your other trimmers? I have a Stihl FS94R also that I bought at the beginning of the season and it is far and away the best trimmer I have used. It will cold start on the first crank now that it is broken in. it's also ridiculous how little fuel it takes. The thing really sips on fuel and a tank lasts a long time! Feathering the throttle is also the easiest of any unit I've used. It's very gentle when needed but turns into a beast when needed.

Originally Posted By: austinlunsford
Nice review. I picked up the exact same trimmer from my local dealer in July. It was on sale for $279.99 at the time! It is absolutely my favorite trimmer that I've ever used. I've got about 25 hours on mine. It's working beautifully.

Thanks man and I'm glad you are enjoying your trimmer.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Cool! Nice looking unit! How is the overall power level compared to your other trimmers? I have a Stihl FS94R also that I bought at the beginning of the season and it is far and away the best trimmer I have used. It will cold start on the first crank now that it is broken in. it's also ridiculous how little fuel it takes. The thing really sips on fuel and a tank lasts a long time! Feathering the throttle is also the easiest of any unit I've used. It's very gentle when needed but turns into a beast when needed.

Thanks. the Husky is a bit more powerful than the Stihl and overall is a few ounces lighter too. The problem with the Stihl is that it's rev limiter kicks in way too early. With the guard installed it has approximately 6" of line out either side of the head. The rev limiter on mine kicks in around 8800 rpm and throttles it back to 6800 rpm. It is hunting for RPM too much and it is an overall loss of power at 2000 rpm lower than you get with a guard. it is only usable to me without a guard. The Husky will rev to about 12000 RPM (you have to have very short line) before the rev limiter will kick in.

I have had the 94R lose it's two head bolts and the clutch is making a grinding noise when I let off the gas. The recoil spring in the starter broke but was replaced under warranty. It is really fuel efficient and is fully broken in at 44 hours on the hour meter.

If I had to do it over I'd just get another Husky.

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

Thanks and good attention to detail. The mower is a Scag Freedom Z 48". I think they make some of the best mowers made for the money and I have a great local dealer. If you have a dealer nearby look at all the mowers that they have to offer.

I'll definitely check the Scags out. What brand of tach/hour meter are you using on the trimmer?

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

I'll definitely check the Scags out. What brand of tach/hour meter are you using on the trimmer?

The Tach is an OZ-USA that I got from Amazon. I've had no problems with the two I have.

Tach Link

I have a Husky 325 that I have owned for 16 years It was purchased fall 2000. I cut 3 acres per season for a fire break on the side of a hill by my house. Plus lawn trimming for my house and a rental I used to take care of the lawn. 2013 the drive shaft broke . The grass depending how it rains grows up to 4 feet high there is vetch mixed in with the grass. The drive shaft was repaired under warranty. I bought a Husky 535 LS when the 525 broke and I now cut the hill in a third of the time. The 535 is kind of big for lawn work though. I run both trimmers on a universal 2 stroke oil at 32 to 1 that costs $16.00 per gallon at the local oil jobber in bulk . I am pleased with both trimmers.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Where you get the Tach/Hour meter from and how do you install it ?

Link to the Tachometer.

It mounts to the trimmer with velcro. All you do is wrap the tach wire around the sparkplug wire a couple of times. It will even work if it's close to the plug or plug wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back