Castrol Edge and Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!
First of all - I have a petrol engine.
I ordered a regular Castrol Edge 5w40 and the shop delivered a Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5w40. I checked the datasheets:

Turbo Diesel Edge Datasheet

Regular Edge Datasheet

There's a very small difference in values, but other than that both say they are suitable for both petrol and diesel engines, both have VW 502.00 spec.
My local Castrol importer doesn't even sell the regular Edge in 5w40, and states that Turbo Diesel is suitable for everything.
I also found this thread

Are these the same oil? Some kind of marketing thing?

EDIT: If it matters I have a '14 MK7 Golf GTI

Last edited:
I had a similar issue finding oil for my Fiat. 5w/40 full synthetic was specified, but the Fiatxxxxxx.xx spec wasn't available in the US. Dealer stated any 5/40 was ok, but had a feeling I was still going to loose in a warrantee battle. So I paid the $10 per quart Penz Ultra at the dealer. After the warrantee I used Castrol Diesel. Didn't notice any performance difference, no UOA was done.

It's a marketing gimmick. Both oils meet the same basic specification ; ACEA C3. Mind, this is a mid SAPS technology oil, it's usually spec'd in countries with ultra low sulphur petrol/diesel. Otherwise you are good.

The regular Edge 5W40 has a SA of 0.8 and is C3, SN, BMW LL-04, MB 229.51, VW 502/505. KV100 = 13.0, PP = -42C, FP = 202 C

The Turbo Diesel Edge 5W40 has a SA of 0.8 and is C3, SM, BMW LL-04, MB 229.51, VW 502/505. KV100 = 13.9, PP = -48C, FP = 210 C

They are both good oils with many of the same specs, especially the important Euro OEM spec.

The Turbo Diesel is a little thicker (KV100 viscosity) yet it has a slightly lower Pour Point and a higher Flash Point too. This suggests to me, that there is more PAO in the Turbo Diesel and that it is a higher quality oil.

Lucky you !! You got the good stuff.

Use it and relax.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back