Recipe and conc. for sulfamic acid radiator flush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I need to clean/flush my car radiator and cooling system using sulfamic acid (also known as amidosulfonic acid, amidosulfuric acid, aminosulfonic acid, and sulfamidic acid) because it should be much better than citric acid.

Does anyone have a proper mixing ratio and some directions for using it, i.e. how many minutes of hot engine operation etc before the acid is flushed out of the system again?

Lucas

I will bite..i always like to read old recipes that the old timers used.. I found this out for you.

"Remove Thermostat and replace spout.
Use sufamic (also spelled sulphamic) acid, found as HDX Shower, Tub & Tile Cleaner. Note: Do NOT confuse it with other acids, sulfamic acid is a metal cleaner! Run the sulfamic acid 1-3 hours at high idle, then flush your system.
Then I run oxalic acid, found as Cabot Wood Brightener. Also run engine 1-3 hours, then flush system.
For the acid neutralizer after running each of the acids for 1-3 hours, use Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda. Washing Soda (also known as Soda Ash). Flush system to remove soda.
Note: Do not confuse with A&H Baking Soda, because they are different.
Washing Soda CAN BE MADE from Baking Soda, by using a large 9"x 13" glass or metal pan, spreading the baking soda at about 1/2" on the pan and cooking for an hour, stirring, then cooking for about another hour. This will remove the carbon dioxide from the baking soda and make it into Washing Soda.
Pre-Mix 16 ounces of each ingredient (Sulfamic Acid, Oxalic Acid and Washing Soda) for EACH SEPARATE TREATMENT into 2 gallons of water to allow for dissolving, then pour into your engine's radiator and top off with water.
Use gloves and eye protection when mixing and pouring the acids, because although these are light acids, you will be working with a concentrated form.
Use chemicals in this order:
1) Sulfamic Acid (16 Oz to 2 gal water), then flush system with tap water,
2) Oxalic Acid (16 Oz to 2 gal water) then flush system with tap water,
3) Washing Soda (16 Oz to 2 gal water) to neutralize, then flush system with tap water.
Note: Mix your anti-freeze 50/50 with distilled water and completely fill your cooling system.
The use of distilled water will prevent any added minerals (tap water usually has metals & possibly salts in it).
The distilled water & anti-freeze with a clean cooling system should last quite some time without any buildup and keep your anti-freeze good for a year or better.
This method will work on old or new engines, whether they have aluminum or not."

Found this here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/radiator-flush-cemicals-question.16278/

I have used a few old timers recipes and found that Kool-Aid unsweetened does work. I myself use Prestone Flush+Cleaner nowadays and let it sit overnight on the crusty jobs.

Good luck with your recipe and hope it works for you.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Originally Posted By: LucasDK
Because the car is 25 years old and it has never been done.
Good enough reason!

Only if it has been neglected or abused. My 22 year old BMW looks pristine inside the engine cooling passages, and has never been "cleaned".

Will that kill the fish when it hits the ocean?
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Good enough reason!

Only if it has been neglected or abused. My 22 year old BMW looks pristine inside the engine cooling passages, and has never been "cleaned".

+1.

And if Daimler recommends Citric, thats all Id use...

Is it not maintaining temperatures?

If it is, then replace the coolant and drive on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back