Removing aquapel...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, my dealer applied aquapel to my windshield and lets just say it was applied bad..when wipers in use its like a cloudy smear. I tried to clean windshield and it seems that there might be residue of past use of rain x in washer fluid tank not helping things. I was going to fill my washer flyid tank with a degreaser and let sit a few days but not sure its safe for the paint..can anyone recommend a cheap , easy and safe way to remove any greasy waterproof stuff out of washer fluid tank? I am going to try a glass polish aftwr i try a degreaser on the windshield. Glass cleaners have not helped...

I'd probably load up the thing with rubbing alcohol and disconnect the sprayers if you can, and run it back few a couple times.

Last edited:
I LOVE aquapel; I've applied it many times; but never to a dirty windshield. I'm guessing that's what happened to you.

Never tried removing the stuff, but I've been on a few Corvette forums, they say Zaino Glass Polish will remove it.

This is third hand information, may be worth what you are paying for it. If you are successful with anything, please tell the rest of us what works.

Thanks. Good luck.

alcohol and Mr Clean magic eraser; or claybar will remove stuff from your windshield.

As far as your wiperfluid tank, just run a lot of fluid through.

Last edited:
You'll need an abrasive of some kind. I would try Meguiars Ultimate Compound or a dedicated glass polish.

So today I tried 2 cleaners, Turtle Dash and glass and Bon Ami. Bon Ami fared better but still not great. I used Auto Glym glass polish and while better than Bon Ami, I am still not sold. I left some polish on a tough spot and will leave it overnight to see if removing it tomorrow makes it better.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Try Rain-X X-Treme Clean glass cleaner. It certainly takes Rain-X and Rejex off of glass.

Thanks, I will definitely consider this next.
smile.gif

That stuff is at Canadian Tire. It's not exactly cheap, but it does get darn near everything off. Even if it doesn't work for what you're trying to do, it's a nice thing to have around. If you want clean glass, it does it. It's a little more involved and messy than normal glass spray, but it's not something you'd be using simply because you had dust on your windshield anyhow.
wink.gif

Be careful leaving degreaser or anything heavy duty cleaner in your reservoir for longer than a few hour. You could dry out rubber seals. What'd I do. Sure put degreaser in there but use it all up through the wiper nossle. What I did before to completely get rid of Rain-X was to soak paper towel with degreaser and leave on the windshield. Degreaser will not affect your paint. It will remove wax though. I soak my wax/polish pads in degreaser to remove it and nothing I found comes close to effectively removing wax/sealant from the pads.

Once or twice a year, I use a product called glass scrub from a company called glass science. Its somewhat acidic as well as mildly abrasive and I've found combining a good cleaning with that, then claybar, then a regular glass cleaner leaves a VERY clean windshield which takes my next rain-x or whatever very nicely (When I have time I like to use the rain clear from the same company as it just lasts a LONG time).

When I flushed the washer reservoir in my old Civic, I disconnected the hose from the squirters and pointed it into an empty jug. Sprayed the remaining fluid out. Filled the reservoir with degreaser diluted with water about 10:1 and sprayed into the empty jug in about 5 second intervals until it was empty. I also used my air compressor to blast the washer nozzles clear while the hose was off. I then repeated this process with clean water before filling the reservoir with fresh washer fluid. I found out the streaking on my windshield was somehow being caused by the old washer fluid. New fluid, clay barred windshield, and new blades. No streaking or anything. Reapplied RainX to the windshield later and never had any problems.

Try using Rain-X to remove it. I have noticed it will remove certain things that cleaners won't remove...besides, it's a better water repellant than Aquapel anyway...

Originally Posted By: grampi
Try using Rain-X to remove it. I have noticed it will remove certain things that cleaners won't remove...besides, it's a better water repellant than Aquapel anyway...

I've found Aquapel and Rain-X perform equally well at repelling water. But Rain-X requires reapplication every two to three weeks during the rainy season in Seattle...which is basically from Sept to May.
smile.gif

Aquapel will easily last 10 to 11 months. I started using it 5 years ago, and love it.

Originally Posted By: grampi

I don't believe you have actually used both products. If you TRY Aquapel, you will never again waste time/money on Rain-x. Rain-x is only for people who haven't discovered Aquapel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back