2017 GTI Oil Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a 2017 GTI Sport with the 2.0L motor. I intend to do a break in change around 1000-1500 miles. In the past I have used M1 0W-40, but I heard that it's no longer VW 502 certified. VW "recommends" Castrol, but I don't care to buy BP products quite frankly.

My commute is also only about 20 mins/9 miles each way, just long enough to get the engine oil up to operating temp 205º-215º and keep it there for ~5 min. I plan to keep the car indefinitely so, what's my best choice of a VW approved oil?

I live in the SF Bay Area in CA, so we have some hot days and cool nights/mornings pretty much year around outside of July/August when the temp typically stays up. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: ReadTheBook
Just got a 2017 GTI Sport with the 2.0L motor. I intend to do a break in change around 1000-1500 miles. In the past I have used M1 0W-40, but I heard that it's no longer VW 502 certified. VW "recommends" Castrol, but I don't care to buy BP products quite frankly.

My commute is also only about 20 mins/9 miles each way, just long enough to get the engine oil up to operating temp 205º-215º and keep it there for ~5 min. I plan to keep the car indefinitely so, what's my best choice of a VW approved oil?

I live in the SF Bay Area in CA, so we have some hot days and cool nights/mornings pretty much year around outside of July/August when the temp typically stays up. Thanks.

I know you do not want to hear this, but I would go with Castrol 0W40.
Now, actually M1 0W40 FS DOES CARRY VW502.00. M1 0W40 FS does not carry any more BMW LL-01 approval. So you are good when it comes to warranty with M1 0W40 FS that you can find in Wal MArt.
Another excellent oil would be Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40. You can do Valvoline 5W40 MST. I use that one in BMW and runs great, also carries VW 502.00/505.01 approval.
If you care about butique oils, AMSOIL has 5W40 EFM approved by VW for 502.00 standard and looks pretty stout.

Just curious why you don't want to buy BP products?

The Castrol and Fuchs 5w40 are great 502 choices.

You can pretty much run straight 30 in the Bay area year round Temperature wise. What is the problem with BP products?

Originally Posted By: jayg

Just curious why you don't want to buy BP products?

The Castrol and Fuchs 5w40 are great 502 choices.

Castrol 5W40 is probably one of the worse choices among VW 502.00 oils. The NOACK of that oil is higher then M1 0W40 or Catsrol 0W30/40. It is below average oil in this category.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Castrol 5W40 is probably one of the worse choices among VW 502.00 oils. The NOACK of that oil is higher then M1 0W40 or Catsrol 0W30/40. It is below average oil in this category.

No, I was agreeing with you if it wasn't clear. The Castrol (as in the 0w40 previously mentioned) and Fuchs 5w40.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Nobody ever mentions Valvoline 5W-40; I wonder why that is.

Not as well priced as M1 0w-40 and Castrol 0w-40 in 5qt jugs.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Not as well priced as M1 0w-40 and Castrol 0w-40 in 5qt jugs.

Nor as easy to find. Incidentaly, edyvw did mention it in his first post on this thread.

I mentioned in first reply of this thread.
I found Valvoline 5W40 MST on sale at NAPA for $4.99 a qt. NAPA has Valvoline ons ale every 3-4 months I would say.
I actually like and respect Valvoline. They are very transparent and you can find all infor about oil, including HTHS and NOACK, which many companies (M1, Castrol, Pennzoil) are usually hiding.

No, I was agreeing with you if it wasn't clear. The Castrol (as in the 0w40 previously mentioned) and Fuchs 5w40.

Yeah, I thought you are talking about Castrol 5W40.

I like Shell Helix Ultra. That has more approvals than most oils I've seen. In America I suppose it's under the pennzoil ultra mega super double platinum pure plus name...

Originally Posted By: KL31
I like Shell Helix Ultra. That has more approvals than most oils I've seen. In America I suppose it's under the pennzoil ultra mega super double platinum pure plus name...

LOL
Yeah. Same approvals as Castrol 0W40, Valvoline 5W40 MST has slew of approvals etc.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
If you don't want to run Castrol 0W-40, then run Mobil 1 0W-40.

Simple.

He mentioned his reasoning for not running M1 in the first post because he heard it no longer carried 502 certification.

I am just wondering why he doesn't want to run BP products.

Simple.

He mentioned his reasoning for not running M1 in the first post because he heard it no longer carried 502 certification.

It does have 502.00, it only lost LL01.

He probably doesn't want to run BP products because of the gulf spill etc.

Simple.

hmmm, Exxon Valdez?

Simple.

hmmm, Exxon Valdez?

Yeah... There are no guiltless. That's why I run whichever product I want without worrying about any perceived moral shortcomings.

I cant see how you can go wrong with the Castrol 0w-40, since it meets the (silly) VW BP recommendation and meets the correct spec...

hmmm, Exxon Valdez?

Right, and there are plenty of Alaskans running Mobil products. [censored] happens and they tried to make it right. As was stated, there is no guiltless and we all purchase what they are selling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back