GM transmission owners, TSB on trans maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may have been posted before but some may have missed it. The magnet posts over in oil filters reminded me of a problem with the GM 4T40,45,65e and the 4L60 transmissions. There is TSB out on the magnets and this should be done. GM put a refrigerator type magnet in many of these and they should be replaced with 2 round ones. The small flat magnet that came with the trans can get saturated and cause the solenoids to pick up what the pan magnet should have got and cause an expensive repair. You can get them for $1.49 a pair at Home Depot. If you haven't already done this do it at the next filter and fluid change. It may save you from a transmission problem in the future. TSB:(pdf download, change the file extension to .pdf if not done automatically) http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=175688

Nice to know....but why did it take up to 10 years on the first affected cars to figure this out? (affects auto trans from 2002-2011).

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Nice to know....but why did it take up to 10 years on the first affected cars to figure this out? (affects auto trans from 2002-2011).

It makes you wonder doesn't it? I'll leave it at that...........

I slapped a couple of hard drive magnets to the bottom of my pan to help with the weak in pan magnet. Next pan drop I may replace the in pan square magnet with the round ones.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sprite1741
They are the same. Like most OEM parts they are overpriced.

I guess HD doesn't sell them anymore, nothing on their site is even close.

Try these magnets. I've put three of them in my sienna's tranny pan.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32065&cat=1,42363,42348&ap=1

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav

They do here, not everything is on the internet. They are in the fasteners section. I was out there at noon for faucet parts, but checked on the magnets. They are $1.67 now. These are about 2 x stronger than the OEM and they recommend 2 of them so it will give you much better performance.

The filled for live trans! The high metals from break in never get drained out .

Originally Posted By: Trav

They do here, not everything is on the internet. They are in the fasteners section. I was out there at noon for faucet parts, but checked on the magnets. They are $1.67 now. These are about 2 x stronger than the OEM and they recommend 2 of them so it will give you much better performance.

Thanks a lot, I will check it out.

An inferior Delphi Pressure Control Solenoid(PCS) was introduced too replace the more expensive Holley sourced PCS in late 2002.
This was never an issue before the Delphi switch!

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
An inferior Delphi Pressure Control Solenoid(PCS) was introduced too replace the more expensive Holley sourced PCS in late 2002.
This was never an issue before the Delphi switch!

That's what happens when the bean counters run the show. Even a few cents per unit sounds like a BIG number to GM...

Why wasn't this posted 5 days ago? I changed the fluid and filter on my mom's Saturn Vue with the 4T45-E on Monday.
Maybe I will go stick a few HDD magnets on the bottom to help.
The factory magnet was pretty coated, but not as thick as others I have done in the past, and I thought it looked small.
Oh well.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Link to the TSB does not work for me. I have no idea if my 1999 Alero has one of these transmissions.

The TSB says 2002 to 2011 models. This is a comparison between the oem magnet on the left and the HD ones. If anyone uses a different magnet beware of clearance issues. I wouldn't use anything taller than these just in case. They fit perfect in my 4t65e.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back