SOPUS is listening to crazyoildude

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went into WM and saw that they had updated the 5W-20 jugs and they don't have a sight gauge anymore. The 10W-30 wasn't updated yet. They didn't have any 5W-30, so I don't know about those. If you look closely in the picture the bottles are all filled to the same level.

FTZ4WJ8.jpg

I dislike bottles with no sight gauges.
I guess if you're trying to hide something it's a good idea.

I wonder if that jug without the gauge was an anomaly? I've seen some quart bottles like that before.

AirgunSavant: Same, all the M1 we get here in the 4L/4.4L bottles don't have a gauge and the there are lines every .25 or .5 quart so I don't even bother trying to figure it out on M1 bottles. No numbers just lines of confusion.

aquariuscsm: It wasn't just one bottle, it was all the 5W-20. Time will tell.

Originally Posted By: Farmer
SOPUS is listening to crazyoildude

LOL. So is it safe to say that the Quaker State and Pennzoil filters will never have louvers?

I'm sure the new bottles must be somewhat translucent or they wouldn't both to emboss level indicators on the edge. The sight gauge must have been more of a leak problem than first thought. The new bottles are likely cheaper to make as well.

No sight gauge or difficult to see because the bottle is too dark (like the old PU dark gray bottles.)

This is the reason why I always keep an old empty PYB jug.

The plastic is thin and the yellow dye lets the light through well, and it has a sight gauge.

So I pour into the PYB jug to measure the amount I need first.

PITA...

Agreed............ must be cost cutting.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Castrol has never used them and it annoys the heck out of me.

To me, the sight gauge is the best indicator of used vs. new oil. New oil disappears almost immediately from the sight gauge when you rock the bottle back and forth or shake it. Used oil, even stuff only 3-5k miles old, will leave its stain on that sight gauge for many seconds or minutes after shaking it, as the contaminants are much slower to run down the inside of the jug or bottle.

+1 - have zero vehicles that hold 5 quarts - and might need a shot for the mower too ...

Originally Posted By: QuinZ
OK so, they went from good bottles to cheap bottles.

+1. Plus the yellow color reminds me of wax.

Originally Posted By: deven

Surely two of the most irrelevant reasons to chose an oil that I've ever seen here on BITOG.

And there have been some doozies.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: deven

Surely two of the most irrelevant reasons to chose an oil that I've ever seen here on BITOG.

And there have been some doozies.

Where did I say I was not going to use this oil because of it. It's just a visual observation and just that.

Originally Posted By: LotI
If they add a foil seal and a telltale cap that will be a big update.

Agreed

Going to miss the sight gauge, easy to see and I know exactly how much I'm pouring. I guess it has to do with cutting costs, I've never had a sight gauge leak so I'm not sure if its directly related to that or not.

Some genius in their cost cutting team probably came up with the idea. Now how the [censored] are all us experienced oil changers going to get by!? I mean one of my cars takes the full jug to fill. This will be so confusing.

Joking aside, that is annoying. It is easier to pour a bunch out then set the bottle down to see how many litres I've used.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back