Cooper st maxx or Goodyear silent armor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's your take on one or the other.

I'm leaning towards the cooper st maxx come December.
But I'm considering the Goodyear silent armor tire.

I would try the BFG KO2 but I have heard bad things about the new design and how some hate that they tried the new version and wish they bought a different set of tires of some other brand.

If they didn't change the design I would go with the KO but not the Ko2. 3 sets on a xj. 2 on a tacoma.

So I'm wanting to pay for the Cooper ST MAXX.
For a half ton.

Good or bad on each?

I've had GY SA in 245/70/16, 265/70/16, and LT265/75/16. It's an okay tire. Decent on paved road, decent in snow, and average elsewhere. The Cooper ST Maxx is a much more aggressive AT tire, like the KO2 or Duratrac.

KO2 > Duratrac > ST Maxx if you don't need stiff sidewalls. If you do any kind of rock crawling go ST Maxx or KO2.

For a 'milder' AT tire you should consider the new Kumho Road Venture AT51. Best bang for the dollar at the moment IMO. Quieter than silent armors on road, better in snow, resists hydroplane, better off road.

They're not a great comparison. The SilentArmor has better road manners and handling in snow and slush.

The ST Maxx is better off-road in mud and sand, although I prefer the General Grabber AT2 over them anyhow.

Tell us about your vehicle and the driving you do. What's the climate like?

Where I live, think; Behind Sun Peaks Resort, the Toyo CT, stud'able like the ST Maxx, but with the softer snow-flake rubber wins out.
The Nitto EXO, looks just as good.
Both; Like the ST Maxx, 3-ply side wall and re-cap-able.
All: Tough as nails, last forever, and expensive.
Edit; Me? 275/65/20 Hankook RW-11s studded.

Last edited:
I have a set of Cooper ST tires on my truck, I don't think they make them anymore but its more of a inbetween tire not so much a mud tire but a more aggressive all-terrain.

i had considered getting the STT but they didn't have them in stock during the buy 3 get one free sale years ago so i went with the ST instead and i think i made the right decision as the STT's wouldn't have lasted as long and not handle as well in the snow. but now of course they cost much much more then when i bought mine.

maybe consider the goodyear authority tires? they look nice, have decent tread pattern

I have no idea what the price comparison would be.

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-authority-at

Last edited:
the father has KO2s on his jeep, seemed to handle really well in the 2-3ft of snow we got here in PA last winter, but that's just our experience.

The tires I have fallen in love with is the Kelly Safari TSRs. They were the "duratrac" before the "duratrac", a beastly tire, and they can come studded :].

I have had ST MAXX tires on my 1500 crew cab Chevy for about 2 years. Love them, will buy again. They are not for everyone, here are the cons. Rough ride, mild hum, 1-2 mpg drop. I had 6 punctures on light duty tires then switched to the ST MAXX, no punctures in 2 years. Also the tread depth is crazy deep, at 30k miles in they wore down to about the tread depth that most AT tires start with. I have no snow experience with them but wet, dry and dirt and mud they are awesome! Feel free to PM me with any questions.

They would go on a ram.

70% road
30% off-road

I would want good wet road due to a lot of rainy weather down here in the SE. Especially for this area. Very hot summers. I won't have to any icy conditions. As for off-road it would be around a farm and I don't want to get stuck with a bigger truck. So that's why I would lean toward the Cooper's.

The two of you that say the ST MAXXs will hurt mileage just a little bit...is the trade off of having a better than average all terrain type of tread be the good?

I have heard that the BFG new ko2's are harder to keep in balance. Anybody else hear that?

The ST Maxx's are a little over $200 bucks so I rather get honest opinions on here before I take the plunge and get them put on. I'm the type that doesn't care too much about the looks of a tires sidewall and such.

FUNCTION is far better.

Thanks for all of your feedback.

Paying around 1k for a set of tires is a big deal.

What does the General Grabber AT2 cost in comparison? I've found them to be better in all aspects than Coopers all-terrains. I'd have them on my Jeep now if they made them in the proper size. I went with the Cooper Discoverer AT3 because of this. I'm not disappointed, but I miss having Grabbers.

My thoughts:

Best road manners and hydroplaning resisrance: Goodyear SilentArmor
Best off-road and mud performance: Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx

The SilentArmor is no slouch in the mud, but it doesn't have the heavy lug pattern of the ST Maxx. That's a compromise you'll have to decide for yourself.

Now after looking up some reviews and all I'm thinking I'll be good with the goodyears.

The spare under the bed is the silent armor pro grade and the tires on the truck currently are Nitto Crosstek a E rated tire.

I'll definitely go with the pro grade tire for the silent armor due to reviewers saying the E's are better at no flex when towing and less punctures due to the 10ply supposedly.

I asked a man this past weekend about his bfg ko2s 315sized on his one ton ford and he said he has had no problems with the ko2s but I might just switch tire brands for my truck now though I have had three sets on a xj. And two sets of Jo's on a different truck.

The Goodyear silent armor has the two channels down the tread that would benefit more for the weather here due to our rainy seasons.

If I don't like the goodyears I'll get the Ko2's for this truck and hold off on the Coopers for a later date. I just might put them on my xj as it's due for a new set right now and I wouldn't mind putting a more off-road capable tire due the bigger voids in the ST MAXXs tread.

About $871.00 for the set as the Goodyear site showed they should be around yet I have the tire pressure monitoring system setup so it will be a little more. I'm getting a set next month or in December. I'll keep the Nittos as the tread is probably 40-50% left.

Discontinued was what I was told about the pro grade silent armor.

And what sux is they showed me at Goodyear dealer the Adventure all-terrain with Kevlar. I have want some intel on these, now. The bad about the adventure tire is I read clear as day on the sidewalk was 'MADE IN CHINA' w t f

So I'm looking at cooper AMERICAN made ST maxx like I was in the first place or their Discover S/T tire.

The size is LT265/70r17 e-rated 10ply.

I'm going to find out if for sure the sidewall ply of the Maxx is 3ply.

If anything since I was told the silent armor in e rated tire is discontinued though still sold on their website. I would consider the duratrac's ..

What's the treadlife on a half ton for them? The duraTrac or the ST Maxx?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back