Does running air conditioning wear out engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if anybody could shed some light on using the A/C and engine oil wear,Does running the air make the engine load more,does it cause higher oil temps and then causing oil to wear faster.So my question is do I need to change my oil interval sooner if I use my A/C often?

No.

I live in the hottest city in the United States. My A/C is run 12 months out of the year. Although in the winter there's usually a few days between where I don't use it. My UOAs have always come back great.

The A/C could possibly help the engine warm up quicker and keep the coolant temperature more constant and contribute nothing to increased wear over the life of the engine.

A long, long time ago using the A/C at any time might have been a challenge to the engine's cooling system. In ancient times before cell phones all the way back to say the 50's and 60's there were water barrels on steep grades coming out of the desert on highways in California. In San Diego there was Mountain Springs Grade on Highway 80 that connected San Diego with El Centro. Miller's Garage at the bottom of the grade was paid to keep the water barrels full. Stopping at these barrels was very popular and Miller's Garage did a lot of business repairing vehicles that did not make the grade.

Today the cheapest economy cars sail up this grade at or above the speed limit with the A/C on full blast in the middle of summer with the ambient temperature above 110F and the drivers think nothing of it. There's not a barrel in sight anywhere.

absolutely not, u're just too paranoid..

be my guest, stick to usual interval
laugh.gif

When I plan on using my AC I always switch to Schaefers 232 (10w30, of course) + 3 cans of Liquimoly just to be safe. I switch back to the supertech 5w20 when I get back home.

Technically yes, as you are getting less mpg, and therefore your fuel consumed will be more per mileage oil interval.
If you measured your oci by fuel usage then it will come out in that measurement. same as if you idle your car more often and get 0 mpg during that idling.

However, in a modern vehicle it is inconsequential and usually only a couple mpg hit or single digit %. So like instead of 5000 miles, you go 5250 miles.

This all washes out in the conservative oil changes that you do, as you'd change far before you're running on bad oil.
If you've waited so long that a couple percentage extra is the difference between "good" and "bad" oil you were already stretching your OCI way too long.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
Technically yes, as you are getting less mpg, and therefore your fuel consumed will be more per mileage oil interval.
If you measured your oci by fuel usage then it will come out in that measurement. same as if you idle your car more often and get 0 mpg during that idling.

However, in a modern vehicle it is inconsequential and usually only a couple mpg hit or single digit %. So like instead of 5000 miles, you go 5250 miles.

This all washes out in the conservative oil changes that you do, as you'd change far before you're running on bad oil.
If you've waited so long that a couple percentage extra is the difference between "good" and "bad" oil you were already stretching your OCI way too long.

lmao wut running the a/c doesn't effect your OCI calculation

Anything that increases thev engine load whilst at idle will help reduce the wear metals slightly. So leave the AC and lights on.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
No.

I live in the hottest city in the United States. My A/C is run 12 months out of the year. Although in the winter there's usually a few days between where I don't use it. My UOAs have always come back great.

Seconded. I live in Phoenix too, and have typically driven my Fusion 80+ miles a day, averaging about 70 MPH, during the summer heat (115+) with A/C blasting full. I run 7,500 mile OCIs, and my UOAs have been spectacular. Conclusion: A/C does not impact oil life to any measurable extent.

Yes, technically. It's an extra load. Extra engine work.

But most change their oil long before it's actually "worn out". And AC loading is pretty small compared to accelerating up to 60mph at a mild pace, let alone a full 0-60 race. Or driving up a typical hill.

So, in effect, "no".

Here in the Caribbean we run the ac system in our cars almost everyday for the entire day(once in the car of course)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KingCake

Can someone translate this?

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Originally Posted By: KingCake

Can someone translate this?

Google Translate should help.
blush.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.