03 Escape 3.0l Intermittent Hard Start

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is regarding my 2003 Ford Escape with the 3L Duratec, just under 110,000 miles now.

Occasionally the car is very hard to start. As in once every couple months, I have to engage the starter multiple times for a few seconds at a time for it to catch. It acts as if it isn't getting spark/fuel. But once it starts, it runs great. 99% of the time it will turn over maybe twice and fire right up. I have owned the vehicle for over 3 years and it has done this since I bought it. I figured the major tune up I did to it before last summer would take care of this issue, but it has done this a few times since. No check engine lights or stored codes.

Engine wise, the following has been done:
Spark plugs
All 6 ignition coils
IAC valve
PCV valve
Full Fel Pro gasket set - upper/lower intake gaskets and all gaskets above them
Cleaned throttle body
Cleaned MAF sensor
Cleaned EGR
And the regular maintenance like air filter, fuel filter, ran fuel system cleaners, etc
I am sure I am missing something

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am leaning towards an intermittent failing sensor of some sort. Maybe a coolant temp sensor or something? I do not want to wait until whatever the problem is to fail and leave me stranded this winter so any help is greatly appreciated!

You could try ignition on for a 30 seconds to a minute before starting to see if waiting makes it start easier to see if it's a fuel pressure building thing.

Otherwise, just learn to live with it, since it doesn't seem to be harming anything.

STOP THROWING PARTS AT YOUR CAR YOU'RE WASTING MONEY.

You need to do diagnostics or bring it to someone who can.

That gen Escape has lots of pattern issues I would start with an injector flow balance test, fuel pressure and bleed down test, and exhaust back pressure test through the DPFE hose.

Extended crank can be caused by many things. You need to perform diagnostics to ascertain direction.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KingCake

Not everybody watches ScannerDanner.
grin2.gif

I wouldn't say he's really thrown any parts at it.

the coils and plugs are something thats needs to be done on these engines around the 100k mark anyways and you have to remove the intake to do so which is why he did the intake seals/gaskets.

maybe not so much the IAC valve but the PCV is a regular maintenance item.

and cleaning other sensors is generally no cost

I say if it runs fine and only does it seldomly i wouldn't worry about it.

I know on some 90's fords there would be an extended crank once in awhile because the engine was flooded and if you put the throttle all the way to the floor the ecm would stop the injectors from spraying fuel to allow the excess fuel to disperse while cranking

My 98 explorer does some goofy starts now and then but its never not started.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: KingCake

Not everybody watches ScannerDanner.
grin2.gif

haha high five for that one!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
I wouldn't say he's really thrown any parts at it.

the coils and plugs are something thats needs to be done on these engines around the 100k mark anyways and you have to remove the intake to do so which is why he did the intake seals/gaskets.

You nailed it. None of what I listed was done specifically to fix this problem. I am big on maintenance, so when the vehicle rolled over 100k and a misfire occurred I took the opportunity to do everything at one time. Thanks Thunder.

Anyway, I never even considered the fuel pump but a good possibility. Unless it becomes more consistent, I will live with it. Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back