GM spark plug & heat sheild change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having trouble changing spark plugs on a 2007 GMC Yukon XL 6.0L.
There is an aluminum heat shield that goes around the plug boot. It is difficult to get off & difficult to get back on. Is this even needed? The spring inside the heat shield is also confusing. Are there any tips about removal of this heat shield? It seems like it's supposed to snap back in but it doesn't.
Thanks for any help.

It should just pull off. If you're replacing the wire you don't have to worry about messing the old wire up. It just pulls off. I replaced mine when I did my plugs on my 04 Silverado. I was disappointed that I bought new ones because I realized that I was just able to pull the old ones off and slip them on the new wires.

If a manufacturer puts something like a heat shield or splash shield on a vehicle that is one of hundreds of thousands or more of vehicles sold, you can accept the fact that it's needed. These manufacturers put a lot of thought into this kind of stuff and they try not to throw away their profits by adding frivolous pieces here and there or expose the vehicle to damage. Do not believe lazy and sloppy mechanics that do not re-install such things very carefully. Insist that whatever is there be returned after servicing. If there is resistance from the mechanic, that's a sign. Go somewhere else. It's okay to admit that the manufacturer know more about this kind of stuff than the mechanic or you.

The heat shields pulled right off when I replaced the wires on my escalade. I tried to use them on the new Taylor wires but the didn't fit because the taylors were thicker. So I'm using the Taylor w no shields with zero issues. If I were using new stock wires, I would use the stock shields as well

Get the Lisle plug boot puller from a parts house. It was about $10 and helped me change my plugs and wires with ease. 2003 6.0 Silverado

I was confused when doing it, because I didnt know if I was supposed to pull the rubber part or the metal part. So I did crunch some of the metal sleeves. You pull from the rubber where the wires go into. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Ive done probably 30 or so of these and yeah those metal shields can become fused with the boots with dirt and whatever. I would advise going ahead and doing new wires while u are in there..but if not just be extra careful on those wires..they become brittle with age. I like to spray WD40 on the boot to metal areas if they dont just slip off and once the spray gets on there they come off pretty easy.

When you pull the wire off the plugs IIRC the shield is just sitting there. So, pull AND twist on the plug wire to remove. Pull gently with pliers to get the metal shield, then remove the plug as normal.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
So, pull AND twist on the plug wire to remove.

Good advice. Pull and twist by the boot, I might add.
grin.gif

Thanks everybody for all your help, the advice helped. I got some Bosch Double Iridium plugs in & the truck runs so smooth & responsive.
I had much difficulty with the #7 & #8 plugs but I got it. Had doubts for a few minutes.
I still can't figure out what the spring inside the heat shield is for but it all seems to be put together fine.
It seems like the heat shield should be pushed in more since it was so difficult to pull out but I am going to quit while I'm ahead. Nothing seems to be damaged.
Thx again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back