"Saudi Arabia Is Buying Up America's Oil Assets"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just arrived from a 14 hour flight - with major passengers and cargo. Going to take a bit to do that with solar ...

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
Is it a surprise the current administration refuses to let private companies develop and exploit energy on federal lands. That would shunt their global partners agenda to seize the energy marketplace. The vehicles used to do it are the EPA and hapless earthie minions.

A new manager with US in mind may take US a different direction.

thumbsup2.gif
lol.gif

If they do business in a currency at all - that is better than when China does government to government construction project deals for oil - because when it all implodes they leave town and no currency to be found ...

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Thank heavens electric car technology is coming around to being viable. We are slowly making electricity from renewable resources, plus coal and nuclear and we won't need oil for ground transportation. Hopefully, we can make the purchases the Saudis' just made similar to buying up all the rights to the carburetor.

The Saudi's have had a 50% stake in this refinery since the late 1980's.

http://www.shell.com/media/news-and-medi...iva-assets.html

Shell and the Saudis are parting ways in the US looks like primarily at the behest of the Saudis. They may take their operations public by selling shares.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-motiva-aramco-shell-idUSKCN0WI2XC

Shell will integrate the (also former Texaco) Convent, LA refinery with the Norco, LA manufacturing complex, and remove those facilities from Motiva, making them solely Shell.

The era of corporate raiders was followed by an era of joint ventures (such as Star Enterprises, Motiva, Equilon, Equistar), followed by an era of mega-mergers and consolidation. Now we're seeing the breakup of one of the longest lasting of those JV's.

Originally Posted By: Fsharp
So they dump a lot of oil into the market, drive the price down, buy their competitors and then reduce their oil output to drive the price back up.
That is how monopoly business works.

Making profit is one reason, steering decision making (i.e. which crude to buy at the same price, whether to upgrade for sour crude processing) is another.

I'd imagine if Saudi controls the refinery, they'd spend less money to upgrade for sour crude processing or cracker, to steer the market toward light sweet crude.

That makes little sense as I would expect the refinery has been adapted to Saudi crudes over their 50% tenure since 1998 and the recent big expansion of the Motiva Port Arthur refinery in 2012 to 600,000 BPD targeted flexibility to handle "relatively light" to heavy sour crudes. That included a LOT of conversion capacity, for example producing 8,000 tons per day of petroleum coke as well as a hydrocracker.

https://www.multivu.com/assets/56183/documents/56183-PAR-Expansion-Fact-Sheet-original.pdf

http://www.aramcoservices.com/News-Events/Motiva-expansion-comes-on-line-in-Texas.aspx

http://www.shell.com/about-us/major-projects/port-arthur-refinery.html

Not familiar with Arab Medium and Arab Heavy grades of crude oil? They have quite a high sulfur content and thus are more difficult to market.

http://www.oocities.org/twokdiamond/saudi_arabian_crude_oil_specifications.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_crude_oil_products

Hello America? This is Canada calling.

Just thought we'd gently remind you that we have the third largest recoverable crude oil reserves in the world after Saudi Arabia and Venezuela, we have the longest undefended border in the world between our two countries, we speak the same language (sort of....), and haven't gotten into any serious tiffs in 204 years. We'd respectfully like to suggest you might want to consider doing more business with countries that you've more or less gotten along with. I know we have our quirks, and some things we just can't seem to agree on. But please remember that our government doesn't speak for every individual Canuck all of the time. Some Canadians do agree with you on many more things than the average citizen, and especially more so than the current government in Ottawa.

So, could we be so bold as to suggest something that will benefit the both of us? We've even thought up a name for it. We call it the Keystone Pipeline. Thanks very much, and have a great day!

Dear Canada,

The same massive oil reserves that you have, we have as well. We have massive amounts of oil that we can't drill for due to these fellows at the Environmental Protection Agency which we will be addressing sometime after January.
We are very much looking forward to "Making Deals" because besides oil we also grow a great deal of grain and although our cars and machines like the oil, the Arabs like food. We just haven't had the right "Deal Maker" until now.
Many Thanks though.

Canada has long been a close ally of the US, just as our mutual parent nation has been.
Maybe we should worry more about how we treat our friends and less about the interests of frightened little kingdoms that lack the legitimacy of elected governments?
An oil refinery on US soil will always be subject to the whims of US energy policy without regard to ownership or effective control. It'll run whatever it's told to run.

Hmmm -are you unaware of Canadian firm Husky's purchase of the Lima, OH refinery and joint interest with BP in their Toledo, OH refinery due to better economics to purchase and convert an existing refinery to process heavy Canadian crude than to build new upgraders from scratch? The BP Whiting refinery revamp targeted increased runs of heavy Canadian crude, as did the expansion of the Marathon Detroit refinery.

Where were the Canadian firms when Saudi Aramco became Texaco's white knight after Texaco lost their court case with Pennzoil?

I wasn't aware of the details, thanks for the information. I'm not in the oil business, only an interested observer of history, energy policy, finance, politics, and human nature.
smile.gif

From 1984 to 1993 Canada was governed by the Conservative Party of Brian Mulroney who negotiated the 1988 Free Trade Agreement between Canada and the US. Mexico was added in 1994, hence called NAFTA. I would have thought the 1980's would have been an opportune time for a Canadian company to be Texaco's white night with the free trade negotiations occurring during that time. No idea why it didn't happen.

The companies involved don't care about America or the market. The Saudis' money is green and spends. That's all that matters. We want to be free market capitalists until...

Then, we want the government to step in and impose what we constantly say is bad - more regulation.

Have your cake and eat it, too?

While this was certainly true in the case of Star Enterprise, Motiva, etc. with Saudi Aramco and PDVSA with Cities Service, it isn't always the case.

Eleven years ago Chinese oil company CNOOC was rebuffed in their attempt to purchase Unocal.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/02/AR2005080200404.html

I doubt there was a Canadian company with enough cash to take a 50% stake in Texaco's downstream business in the 1980's even in its battered and bankrupt state, much less guarantee crude oil supplies to those refineries like Saudi Aramco could. Not at least without major modifications like were just recently performed at Port Arthur, and that wasn't the only Texaco refinery (Convent, LA is also a large former Texaco refinery for example).

Originally Posted By: vitez
Hello America? This is Canada calling.

Just thought we'd gently remind you that we have the third largest recoverable crude oil reserves in the world after Saudi Arabia and Venezuela, we have the longest undefended border in the world between our two countries, we speak the same language (sort of....), and haven't gotten into any serious tiffs in 204 years. We'd respectfully like to suggest you might want to consider doing more business with countries that you've more or less gotten along with. I know we have our quirks, and some things we just can't seem to agree on. But please remember that our government doesn't speak for every individual Canuck all of the time. Some Canadians do agree with you on many more things than the average citizen, and especially more so than the current government in Ottawa.

So, could we be so bold as to suggest something that will benefit the both of us? We've even thought up a name for it. We call it the Keystone Pipeline. Thanks very much, and have a great day!
Lobby money

Spent a bunch of time in Canada and later in S Korea. Often when driving by (takes a a while) the worlds largest container ship or massive oil tanker or massive LNG tanker or giant car carrier ... I'd ask myself did we make NAFTA work to most of it's potential? Don't think so - it became a whipped boy by our capitols - and this big kit was not built by nor for NAFTA trade - and trans corridor plans faded away ... So with affordable transportation- the work went to cheap labor/low HSE standards places ... that's how it is.

China are trying to buy Asutralia atm too...

Give them piles of money that they've got nothing to do with and they'll be forced to use it to buy assets eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back