Schwerer Gustav....

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021

My buddy sent this to me and I had a good laugh. My kids were REALLY into Thomas when they were younger, my eldest had the Thomas model train set and would play with it for hours.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
I think there is something like that called big bertha at Ft.Sill OK. Those cannons on rails hurled shells into England and France.

The two big German ones were Dora and Gustav. Gustav was successfully utilized in several operations including one that destroyed an ammunition bunker 30 meters under the sea and protected by 10m of concrete. Dora was used against Stalingrad.

These guns fired 80cm (31") shells that weighed 7 tons a distance of about 30 miles.

They were the largest rifled gun ever produced and the heaviest mobile artillery pieces ever built.

There is a local woman who once told me about how the concussion wave from the Germans firing their large guns would literally blast open doors even if they were locked.

There have been lots of interesting long-barrel, long range (powder) guns. The Iraquis were working on them into the 90s at least.

What Thomas really needs is gustav's electric cousin...

The Germans had the Paris gun in WWI that had a range of 70 miles. They used it to shell Paris. It took the Allies a while to figure out where the shells were coming from.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
There have been lots of interesting long-barrel, long range (powder) guns. The Iraquis were working on them into the 90s at least.

I recall the docu-drama about this. Some guy named Bull. I think ultimately assassinated to prevent him from completing the project.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Bull

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I recall the docu-drama about this. Some guy named Bull. I think ultimately assassinated to prevent him from completing the project.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Bull
Frederick Forsythe wrote a really good novel called The Fist of God, based on Canadian Gerald Bull's development of a big cannon for Iraq. As is typical for me reading Forsythe, it was hard to tell where exactly he transitioned from fact to fiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back