high cost to mount and balance tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Northern Va Area, I see quotes like 35-40 to mount and balance 1 tire. So to do all 4 is between 140-160 plus tax.

the cheapest I could find, with an effort, is 25 each or 100 for the set of 4.

Seems excessive to me. Got a Walmart around?

My local garage charges $20 per to mnt&bal. I can drop off the rims and tires one night, pick up the following night. They also don't have a high opinion of TPMS and didn't blink at me running w/o; they also aren't going to get into load ranges etc.
wink.gif
Got a garage you like to deal with? Black Friday isn't that far off.

Originally Posted By: pacem
Northern Va Area, I see quotes like 35-40 to mount and balance 1 tire. So to do all 4 is between 140-160 plus tax.

What size rim and tire? Many shops will charge extra to mount and balance large rims and low profile tires.

Also, take a look at the list of TireRack recommended installers in your area. They list their prices so that you can compare.

http://www.tirerack.com/installer/Installer.jsp

If you take into account the price of labor these days it makes sense.
Back in 1986 when I purchased the then new "Acura Integra" Their shop rates were $60 and hour.........!

Only my labor rates have went down in this economy
smile.gif

A true BITOG-er should always have a good shop around to do these things for a discount. I have a friend of a friend that owns a shop do things for me like tires and alignment for the best price in town. Why pay retail?

Find a small private shop to handle these things for you.

Walmart is very cheap.

After my last experience with a regional chain who charged $80 and forgot to tighten lugs(refunded install) and to boot had leaky tire week latter and found out they did not clean rim rust or replace TMPS kit so I paid $40 to correct at another shop , I'd gladly pay the $150 to get job done correctly first time.

Originally Posted By: supton
Seems excessive to me. Got a Walmart around?

Have you seen Walmarts mount and balance prices lately? They charge an extra $5 for tires you bring into them, and balance in $9 per tire now. If you want cheap, so to one of those roadside tire places that sells used tires. I paid $10 for mount and one time balance per tire.

I live in NoVA and get tires installed at walmart. The kingstowne WM has been decent.

Check out www.tirerack.com installers list as they will list the full cost of installing and some do meets walmarts price.

If you are bringing your car in, and the shop has to put your car on the lift, then $25/tire is reasonable. It will be a 30+ minute job and it ties up a lift.
If I bring in a set of rims and tires, it doesn't take long to dismount, mount, and balance 4, so $100 is getting into the $300/hour range for shop time... Also I guess you are paying for a re balance if one isn't good, and the people who freak out over a chip or scratch. Replacing or refinishing a rim costs alot of tire mountings...

If I need a tire repaired, I'm using a tire store instead of Walmart. Don't like what I see about Walmart employees, and I think the company itself doesn't care what the public thinks because, like in our city, Walmart is the only game in town. There is no reason for Walmart employees looking like derelicts who spent the night behind the store. And standing around the store chattering for everyone to here doesn't help. Where is the management?

If the prices too high, maybe you should invest in the equipment to DIY. If you want Roadforce balance, then it costs more as the equipment is more expensive, not to mention, the costs of proper training to train a technician properly.

I need to get mine balanced. I called around and they're all in the $9-$17 range. BJs was actually pretty cheap, they only wanted $6 a tire. I'm waiting to get a coupon from Goodyear. Somehow I signed up online and they send me an email once in a while that has a $20-$25 off $50+ in service.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

What size rim and tire? Many shops will charge extra to mount and balance large rims and low profile tires.

Also, take a look at the list of TireRack recommended installers in your area. They list their prices so that you can compare.

http://www.tirerack.com/installer/Installer.jsp

very normal 275-45-16

found this

http://www.tirerack.com/installer/Instal...amp;saved=false

Yeah, that's a ripoff. My shop charges $13/tire -- this includes mount, balance, valve stems & disposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back