M1 ep or Castrol extended?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title states which would you prefer and why? Which one is "better"? I'm looking at getting a 15k oil to both try and run 15k and also since my girlfriend seems to forget to let me know when it's time for an oil change so I want to have the peace of mind that it's good for a while past the oem interval. So which is better and why?

Both are great oil's, but I prefer Castrol over Mobil 1 EP. I have had quieter engines with Castrol. You can't go wrong with either of them, but I give the EDGE to Castrol.
smile.gif

No one knows which one is better - it depends more on operating conditions and state of engine tune.
If you engine misfire count is high, the oil will show a shorter service life.

I would look to a BMW LL or a MB 229.5x list ACEA A3, for long interval.

How many miles a month does the GF drive and what kind of miles?

ALSO, CAR ENGINE AND CLIMATE?

Works 5 days a week about 3 miles from our house so it gets short tripped. But we also do about 2 long trips each week with it. Climate is NY and engine is kia 2.0 NON gdi

I've used M1 EP on all the vehicles below....averaging about 24K miles a year, so I did the 15K OCI because I was sick of changing the oil every 4-5 weeks. Did some UOA's on the OCI just to make sure the oil would do what they said it would, and M1 EP delivered. I've never looked back and had zilch problems oil wise. I'd use M1EP 5W-20 for now based on where you are and the time of year your in. Use with confidence and not even give it a second thought. If your car has an OLM, write down the starting mileage because the monitor will go off before you hit 15K.

FWIW, here is a VOA for M1 5W30 EP from the Russian Oil club, you can find a link to a complete list of their results in the VOA forum here.

http://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/8445-mobil1-extended-performance-5w-30-svezhee/

I know it's a bit of a strange source, but their VOAs seem solid where I've been able to compare them to other sources.
I was impressed with the NOACK and CCS (-30C) numbers and I like that low calcium for my DIT engine.
I haven't seen anything for the comparable Castrol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back