Oil Filture failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
So looks pretty rusty
Installed in April
No road salt here in April until now
Pretty sure the rust is not thick enough to cause the failure..
I almost think it was crack, and the rust came because of the crack.

No physical damage to the filter and no way for it to get hit in the position

Around the nut it is cracked.
The nut was not used to install the filter
All oil left the engine through that crack

Originally Posted By: username77
Originally Posted By: CT8
Did the engine fail?

Yes
I am sorry to hear that.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
Did you notify K&N about the filter failure and the consequential damage to your engine?

Not my engine..
No contact with K&N yet

Note to self..Avoid KN air filters and oil filters. Sorry for your misfortune. That is pitiful and someone should get a earful and a kick in the rear.

Originally Posted By: robo339
Why is the date code blacked out?

I blacked it out because I thought it was a lot number or serial number
And I do not want to mess up any future claims for the person if they decide to try
If you let me know how to read the date code I will say it

Must have been salt that started the corrosion. Looks like it got under the area where the nut is welded on.

Figured out the date code

I think it says 122812

So 2012?

Oil filter was changed in April..
Its common is see rotted/rusted cars here, but a oil filter that quick was shocking

I have no stake in this either way.. Just curious if this is common or happened before..

not my images
A quick google search shows the crack location is common on these filters and examples are in google images but the rust is not common
60394d1458252329-had-my-second-k-n-oil-filter-spring-leak-k-n-filter-leaked.jpg

IMG_1360.jpg

60586d1458581179-had-my-second-k-n-oil-filter-spring-leak-kn-filter-inside.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the cracks started at the spot welds - seen in photo of inside the dome shot. Welding probably caused the metal to get brittle, and crack from the oil pump pulsations over time. The rust is a mystery though, but something really corrosive beside water must have got it going.

Not good....glad I've invested in Amsoil (Donaldson) filters for my vehicle.

I don't think there's any way that filter didn't get run through AT LEAST one winter of salt spray.

If that's the inside of the dome pictured and the filter cut open now, any redress that 'might' have been available from K&N is now very likely gone. That's assuming it could/would have been determined to be the cause of the stated engine failure.

While filter manufacture date not exactly old, not exactly new either. Wondering what kind of storage environment it had prior to installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back