'06 Mercury Milian 2.3L, 5 spd manual- Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've found a 2006 Milian with 120k on the clock that has caught my eye. Haven't seen the car in person yet being that it's at a dealership 1.5 hours from my house.

The car looks clean (online pics) and is listed for an attractive price. I've heard a few people talk highly of the 2.3L Ford and was hoping for some BITOG opinions. I also like the car having a 5 spd - no auto tranny to worry about.

Anyone know of any issues with that year Fusion /Milian? For those of you who own a Fusion/Milian - how do you like it?

Background on why I'm car shopping: I'm wanting to park the Durango and save miles on it. It's not even 2.5 years old and is about to turn 60k. I'm thinking about getting a car to use as a daily and only get the Durango out for trips or when we need the extra space.

Thanks in advance.

Check for rust. My moms 10 fusion (2.5L) is clean on the outside but has some small surface rust on the under carriage. She has about 100k on hers. Dads 08 escape has the 2.3L and it doing well at 160k.

Last edited:
I used to own a 2009 Fusion with the 2.3 and 5 speed manual. It was a great and reliable car my only complaint when I owned it was that it was a tad underpowered with the A/C running and trying to leave a stoplight or make a make a quick merge into traffic from a dead stop. That being said I would own another given the chance.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
If you go to look at it act turned off by the stick shift. Use that as a bargaining chip to get the price lower since sticks are hard to sell.

Around here it makes them even more expensive.

In a car like that, an MT equipped one is something that more of an enthusiast that specifically wanted that car in that setup would buy, IMO. Notionally that would imply better upkeep.

Worth a look IMO.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
Originally Posted By: Chris142
If you go to look at it act turned off by the stick shift. Use that as a bargaining chip to get the price lower since sticks are hard to sell.

Around here it makes them even more expensive.
Thats interesting. You could not give that car away here.

I used to have a 2007 Fusion with the 3.0L V6, AWD & automatic transmission so I don't have exact feedback on this setup, but I was in many Fusion groups & forums & can give you the gist of things.

The 2.3L is a very solid engine, I never heard of any complaints or any major, regular problems. This coupled with the manual transmission should mean a virtually problem free car as far as the drive train goes.

Now Fusions/Milans in general.

1) They are known for sticky brake calipers, especially when older. I had the rear driver side caliper freeze up around 70K miles & both my fronts were sticking on the inside at 120K miles. Common issue but easy fix with new caliper if you can work on brakes.

2) The interior door handles like to break. You can open the door by pressing on the lock mechanism & pulling the handle or simply opening from the outside via the window until you get it fixed. It's a relatively simple & cheap fix by popping the door panel off.

This is about it for regular Fusion/Milan issues. Nothing major. The 06-09 models are excellent cars. I recommend you get the vehicle inspected by a trusted mechanic before buying just to make sure brakes, Suspension, steering are solid.

I've driven one of those (4 cyl standard tranny). Very nice and fun cars!! I bet the V6 ones are great!!

Thats one of the first cars that Ford started doing right when they tried to start turning things around.

They are a nice car. I'd love to find one with a 5 speed!

It's a Mazda.

Did some research today on the model year and engine, didn't really find anything indicating any major problems. If what I found was accurate, looks like the 2.3 duratec was just a renamed Mazda L engine.

I hadn't thought of trying to get a better price with it being a manual. Pretty good idea.

Sent an email to the dealer requesting an E-Price on the car. The reply I got was some automated response and only listed the vehicle's info with pictures. Maybe the internet guy was off today.

Broke the good news to my wife, explained I had found a 4th car for me to buy and drive around as a daily. We are about to finish up a major (and expensive) home remodel. She's reminded me of this and for some unknown reason, she does not share my enthusiasm in buying a additional car
21.gif
. She'll come around.

Its a easy sell in the midwest because we arent cramped up with people. We even got excess room and air. A 5 speed Ford is highly sought out here,and less to fail on a standard vs automatic

I had one that we bought from my son, 2006 fusion. I kept wishing for a 6th gear to keep the revs down on the highway, but a great car otherwise, traded it in on a 2007 Milan Premier with a V6/auto and love the car.

Originally Posted By: Arob
I had one that we bought from my son, 2006 fusion. I kept wishing for a 6th gear to keep the revs down on the highway, but a great car otherwise, traded it in on a 2007 Milan Premier with a V6/auto and love the car.

More circumference on the wheel/tire would have achieved the same thing

Originally Posted By: KingCake
They have lots of problems with those manual trannies.

What type of problems? I've owned a couple Fords and both had solid manuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back