2016 Sonata Hybrid vs 2013 Avalon Hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad is currently looking to replace his 2009 Accord that is creeping up on 300k miles. It still runs strong but he wants to make a move before his hand is forced. Budget is around $26k which gets a new loaded 2016 Sonata Hybrid or an off-lease 2013 Avalon Hybrid with 30k miles. He needs at least the space of his Accord and is wanting to save some $$$ on fuel. What does BITOG think about the 16 Sonata vs 13 Avalon?

I can't comment on the new Sonata Hybrid, but the last gen was a pretty big letdown.

Do some careful comparison. Hyundai generally has been behind the curve on hybrids.

New vs 30k is a lot of lost life to amortize in. What will the resultant cost/mike be if he keeps it 100 or 200k?

The Avalon is a big posh car. What are the mpg differences?

So the sonata is 39/45, while the avalon is 40/39. My Honda Accord hybrid is rated 47/45, IIRC.

Keep in mind that batteries have a calendar and a cycle life. The Toyota NiMH has proven robust, but that doesn't change the physics. a car with 3+ years more time on it, and hot summer heat IS a consideration.

The sonata hybrid MPGs are good but not great considering the competition. Id consider lower content vehicles and negotiate hard for a base honda accord hybrid. I paid a hair over $26k for mine brand new, wen the sticker was $29k, and that was before any other negotiations at all.

dad needs to go on a test drive and see which is more comfortable. if he's driving 40k miles a year, comfory is a factor.

I bought the hybrid Sonata because of dealer location. I like it, and it does get the MPG if you do your part. We have 8900 miles on it with no problems. We had a hybrid Camry before. The Sonata is a pleasure to drive. I think I would get the new Sonata.

My aunt is looking for a new car, VW is buying her current one back soon. We went to the dealership this last weekend and the Sonata was sooo comfortable. We didn't sit in the hybrid though. The Tucson had really bad seats though. Haven't tried other cars yet.

Thanks for all the input so far. He's sat in the Sonata but there isn't a used Avalon close. We are getting one transferred through Carmax so that he can drive both. I'm thinking the larger and more plush Avalon will win out.

I would have to drive both first before making a decision. But Toyota seems to have their hybrid system nailed down, however they Hyundai is new. Honestly if it were my decision (and its not) I wouldn't get a hybrid. The battery WILL die eventually and it may be during your ownership. If you have to pay to replace it you will negate any savings you netted from the higher MPG's.

Why not a Sonata Gas sedan, or a Turbo? Loaded they are great cars.

I don't consider Sonata and Avalon to be the same type of car, Avalon is pretty much a Lexus clone to me. Sonata is on par with a Camry.

The great thing about Hyundai hybrids, they give you a lifetime warranty on the hybrid battery.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
The great thing about Hyundai hybrids, they give you a lifetime warranty on the hybrid battery.

Wow, thats very respectable. This would certainly influence my decision.

Sorry guys, I meant 18,900 miles.
Originally Posted By: meadows
I bought the hybrid Sonata because of dealer location. I like it, and it does get the MPG if you do your part. We have 8900 miles on it with no problems. We had a hybrid Camry before. The Sonata is a pleasure to drive. I think I would get the new Sonata.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Wow, thats very respectable. This would certainly influence my decision.

That is a big deal!

If he's putting that kind of mileage he must be doing a lot of freeway runs, wouldn't it be wiser to pick up a diesel over a hybrid? Hybrids are most efficient in stop and go traffic and low speed runs.

100% this.

Go with the Hyundai/Kia

Originally Posted By: Mau
If he's putting that kind of mileage he must be doing a lot of freeway runs, wouldn't it be wiser to pick up a diesel over a hybrid? Hybrids are most efficient in stop and go traffic and low speed runs.

Depends. A Prius would be much more reliable than a TDI, and cheaper to drive due to the reliability over a long period of time.

Originally Posted By: Mau

I asked that same question but he doesn't like any of the cars with diesel offerings. I also suggested a Mazda Skyactiv which perform really well at highway speeds but again he doesn't care for the feel of the cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back