PENTOSIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have experience or detailed product knowledge of Pentosin 5-30 & 5-40 ?
I am considering either of these for a 2014 Jetta 1.8T and a 2017 Audi Q5 3.0 supercharged, and can get either at a great price.
Pentosin's website provides some product info, but would like to hear about user experience too.
I am considering these to meet VAG's 502 & 505 requirement
Steve

I used it in my previous TDI. It did pretty good, went a little over 10,000 miles on the oil change. UOA came back pretty good too.

thanks guys---planning on keeping the Jetta at about 6K mile OCI it's my daughter's car and I only get to see it about 6 times a year, so I do it when I can so she doesn't run over 10 K.
Wife's Q5 is a definite short-tripper 6 miles to work & 6 miles back (what a waste of a car) so it will be a 5K miles max OCI
Please keep the comments coming
Steve

Originally Posted By: steve20
thanks guys---planning on keeping the Jetta at about 6K mile OCI it's my daughter's car and I only get to see it about 6 times a year, so I do it when I can so she doesn't run over 10 K.
Wife's Q5 is a definite short-tripper 6 miles to work & 6 miles back (what a waste of a car) so it will be a 5K miles max OCI
Please keep the comments coming
Steve

Doubt you need to stick at 5k unless OLM says so.

It would be interesting to see what UOA shows for your wife's vehicle.

You can find more info in the European car oil section.

I have read there that many cars consume Pentosin faster than they consume Castrol or Mobil.

Anyone have experience or detailed product knowledge of Pentosin 5-30 & 5-40 ?
I am considering either of these for a 2014 Jetta 1.8T and a 2017 Audi Q5 3.0 supercharged, and can get either at a great price.
Pentosin's website provides some product info, but would like to hear about user experience too.
I am considering these to meet VAG's 502 & 505 requirement
Steve

Not in same league as Castrol 0W40.
Pentosin 5W40 is VW 502.00/505.01 oil which means it is Mid-SAPS oil and TBN will get depleted faster in your direct injection cars. I used it once in my VW CC 2.0T while I had it and it is OK. Does not rev as Castrol 0W40 and cold start is definiately not there as 0W40.
It is more suited for my BMW 35d then your Jetta. Castrol 0W40 goes for $25 for 5qt jug in Wal Mart. I use it in my wife's Tiguan, and it works great.
It is typical HC oil, made out of Group III base stocks. It is good oil, do not get me wrong, but not in same league as Castrol 0W30/40, Mobil1 0W40, Pennzoil Platinum 5W40.
Pentosin 5W30 has two versions, one is Full-SAPS and one is VW 504.00/507.00. That one will get beat down by high sulfur in the U.S. gas very fast.

Thanks for the feedback guys-----are you saying Pentosin is not as worthy in these applications as Castrol & others Euro formulations--? Not sure which you are referring to.

Also, if you would, regarding viscosity in the short-tripper Audi,think I would be better off with using dealer changes with TOTAL in the Audi short-tripper? I'm also thinking 5-30 would be a better choice during the winter in the northeast?
Steve

You won't really notice a difference between 5W-40 and 5W-30 in use or wear. I would pick one and stick with it.

Total makes some fine oils. Total Quartz Energy 9000 0W-30 was my choice of LL01/502 before it got difficult to find.

Thanks for the feedback guys-----are you saying Pentosin is not as worthy in these applications as Castrol & others Euro formulations--? Not sure which you are referring to.

Also, if you would, regarding viscosity in the short-tripper Audi,think I would be better off with using dealer changes with TOTAL in the Audi short-tripper? I'm also thinking 5-30 would be a better choice during the winter in the northeast?
Steve

Yes, compare to Castrol 0W30, 0W40 it is not in the same league. Good oil, but not same league.
Short trips? Get Castrol 0W30 in local Auto Zone during sale. Regardless of short trips, Castrol 0W40 is on thin side of W40 oils. But, if you still want thinner oil, my choice would be Castrol 0W30. I used it a lot, before 0W40 was available in Wal Mart, and it is probably best oil for Euro applications. It has same formulation as 0W40, just bit thinner. It has lower NOACK, which means less deposits. I do not use it anymore since price does not justify it compare to 0W40. However, if you can find it on sale that is great. Definiately better then Total since Castrol 0W30 and 0W40 are PAO based oils, while Total is Group III or Hydro cracked same as Pentosin. However, Total also makes great oils.
To be clear, all oils you mentioned are good. Just DO NOT use Castrol 5W40 that VW dealers are using.

So the made in Germany aspect doesn't guarantee PAO / Group IV ??

It's only $5 a quart at Autozone

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cnatra
So the made in Germany aspect doesn't guarantee PAO / Group IV ??

It's only $5 a quart at Autozone

Nope, because it is not sold in Germany.
However, that same oil is sold in Germany as Full Synthetic which means it is 50%+ PAO. Also, 5W30 that meets VW 504.00/507.00 is full synthetic in Germany. Pentosin 5W40 on other hand is HC oil.

Ok

Been a couple fresh threads on this version of Pentosin as well as the AZ sale threads

Bottom line is my local AZ has tons of this stuff on sale right now for $2 a qt

Mistake to buy it all up and get 2-3 oil changes out of it ??

Last edited:
Motul makes a ton of different oils for your application and UOA's always come back as good if not better than anything the majors make... Although accessibility may be an issue. Motul synthetic products are also a full synthetic oil in Germany and are PAO based. Everything from Motul will be imported from Europe like the Pentosin brand.

Motul X-cess 5w40: VW 502/505
Motul X-clean 5w40: VW 502/505/505 01
Motul X-clean+ 5w30: VW 504/507

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cnatra
Ok

Been a couple fresh threads on this version of Pentosin as well as the AZ sale threads

Bottom line is my local AZ has tons of this stuff on sale right now for $2 a qt

Mistake to buy it all up and get 2-3 oil changes out of it ??

I would clear out store for both of my cars.
But, in your case I would stick to pentosin High Performance 5W30. The one that carries ACEA A3/B4, VW 502.00, BMW LL-01, MB 229.5 specifications.
5W40 is I believe too thick for Ecoboost, and Super is Low-SAPS for diesel application.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back