CK-4 zinc levels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been lurking here to find Rotella T and others zinc levels? I cant seem to find this in a search?

Originally Posted By: PE400
I've been lurking here to find Rotella T and others zinc levels? I cant seem to find this in a search?

Xw40 oils are allowed about 1100-1200 PPM Zn and P for API SN. Rotella usually tests out very close to that. Note that just because 40 weights are still "allowed" that much, they don't all have that much. PU SRT 0w40 for example has turned up around 800 PPM, just like an Xw30 SN oil.

There are some older T6 oil analyses on here that all show 1000-1200 PPM or so... but what everyone is really waiting for is when T6 gets its CK-4 approval (up from CJ-4) which is a "lower ash" formulation and may drop the levels a little bit below what API SN alone allows. Or it may not...

Older T6 analysis for example:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1734164/RTS_SM/CJ_5w40,_Jeep_4.0,_5726

A bit newer and polluted with Archoil, but didn't affect the Zn/P numbers:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr..._T6#Post4218169

Last edited:
Last edited:
That T-5 is the one I was really wondering about.. So is the consensus is we haven't seen any actual CK-4 Voa at this point?

Last edited:
I'm curious about this as well. I have been using Rotella 15W-40 in my bikes for around 10 years. Recently I have been buying CJ-4 Rotella when I find it on sale, not hoarding, just buying a litte extra because of the upcoming CK-4 change.

Originally Posted By: PE400
That T-5 is the one I was really wondering about.. So is the consensus is we haven't seen any actual CK-4 Voa at this point?

As I type this, your signature shows that you're using T5 15W40. So far they have only reformulated the 10W30 (speaking of the T5). Just sayin' so if you're interested in a voa of the CK-4 (15W40) version, you may need to wait.

The T5 15W40 doesn't list much of anything on the approvals list. A few are on there but I'd prefer the oils with a long list of approvals.

Hi @PE400 and @440Magnum - Rotella's current API CJ-4 and future API KC-4 products including Rotella T6 will continue to have 1200 PPM of zinc. Feel free to give us a call with any additional questions at (800)237-8645. - The Shell Rotella Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back