How come some people work all the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Some people are just built that way.

But let's not fall into the trap of thinking that quantity equals quality.

I know lots of people who do 12 hour days, but don't produce much.

And then there's people who only work 4 hours a day but get a LOT done.
It's easy to confuse activity with accomplishment.

Originally Posted By: Blueskies123
There are a lot of minimum wage or low wage families that work long hours to provide for their families. These are the invisible heroes of the American dream. They are often ridiculed in popular culture.
The "deplorables".... according to some of the ruling elite.

Last edited:
I have some friends who are hourly and have unlimited overtime available. If I had such a job, I would find myself in trouble as I would be working 60+ hours a week just to get a large paycheck to save/invest.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I have some friends who are hourly and have unlimited overtime available. If I had such a job, I would find myself in trouble as I would be working 60+ hours a week just to get a large paycheck to save/invest.

That's how my job is, but we don't abuse it. When I tell my boss we need OT, big boss knows it's legitimate and approves it. Some make an extra $35K in OT if they volunteer for it.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Yeah I always thought many companies frowned upon overtime, nope some will let you work until you drop dead. I guess it just depends on the field.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
There are a lot of minimum wage or low wage families that work long hours to provide for their families. These are the invisible heroes of the American dream. They are often ridiculed in popular culture.
The "lesser" people keep on reelecting the political party that keeps them down because that party promises to take money away from the more productive workers and redistribute it to them for their votes.

It's a balance. Some do work until they literally drop dead, some just skate by pretending they work. Most are probably in the middle.
I worked very hard when I was going to college and after I graduated. The reward was not having any debt and I landed a great job straight out of school.
Now I still work hard, but I don't put as many hours as before because I have a family to take care of, which to me doesn't just mean providing a paycheck. I want to spend as much time with my family, especially now since our children are young, as I possibly can.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I'm currently working 2 jobs.my full time auto repair and a part time truck driving just to make ends meet. That's my reason.

This is the main reason.

Well said!!

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
And then there are those of us who own and run businesses. 40 hr work week is not in the cards. For many small business owners, double that and you have a normal work week. But then, if we didn't enjoy it, and there was no appreciable reward for doing it, we wouldn't have started small businesses to begin with. And retirement is something that some of us don't really anticipate with joy. Even in retirement, those of us that have been playing the business game will probably still keep our hand in the game until we just plain can no longer work. I probably won't file for SSI till I bump 70. But that is not that far off and I have no interest in stopping what I am doing until I can no longer work.

Exactly!!!

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
The "lesser" people keep on reelecting the political party that keeps them down because that party promises to take money away from the more productive workers and redistribute it to them for their votes.

That's just what some do. Growing up on the farm I should work more than I do. But I figured around the age 18 I was tired of working. I've been working since 12-13, if not on the farm doing odd jobs with my grandpa. Some work alot to make ends meet, but 1/2 of the time it's self-inflicted. 2 of my neighbors are prime examples of it.

My realization in life is working smarter is far superior to then working harder/longer.

So many bad decisions for such hard working folks lead to a road to no where. It's really unfortunate, my in laws work very hard for other folks thinking it will pay off.

In modern jobs working smarter means jumping back and forth and outside comfort zone into new company to keep moving up. Internally it's much harder to move up.

I see salaried people "performing" the stage play all the time. Many of them come in late, rather than early like I do. I'm done with half my work by the time most of them arrive. They rarely put in even a full eight hours because no one notices those who leave at 4:30 or 5:00 while I can't leave even a minute before 4:00 even though I arrive at 6:30 in a company that is supposed to allow "flexible hours." If some bozo schedules me for a meeting after 4:00 I am not allowed to decline the invitation, either. There is little respect for employees' time around here. Studies show that most office workers have a max of about six productive hours in a day. Working longer does not equate to increased productivity but it does lead to mistakes, burnout, dissatisfaction, and ultimately, turnover.

We have a pretty messed up concept of work life in this country. I do applaud those who are owner/operators of their own businesses, though.

I guess I need to continue my search for a new job. It's getting harder due to my salary level and my age. (Yes, I know age discrimination doesn't officially exist.) I get good reviews and more work over time with 1% salary increases to show for it.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
The way the job market is... many keep their mouth shut and deal with the [censored].

DING DING DING DING DING! You win the prize. Even though the recession is supposedly over employers still have the upper hand for the most part. I may not be a big fan of unions, being a Texas boy, but this is how they come about. I wonder if the pendulum will eventually swing the other way. We're probably all too lazy these days to stand up for ourselves. That's why almost all the money goes to the top now.

It is called "productivity gain": more hours at the same pay, or cutting the less profitable part of a company and focus on the more profitable part.

This is the same reason why a lot of family now have 2 working parents instead of a stay at home mom, they can't afford the living cost otherwise.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
The way the job market is... many keep their mouth shut and deal with the [censored].

DING DING DING DING DING! You win the prize. Even though the recession is supposedly over employers still have the upper hand for the most part. I may not be a big fan of unions, being a Texas boy, but this is how they come about. I wonder if the pendulum will eventually swing the other way. We're probably all too lazy these days to stand up for ourselves. That's why almost all the money goes to the top now.

Every industry and career field you have to deal with [censored].
Just take a deep breath and realize you can be working for minimum wage at a dead end job.

Very few people in this world have their 'dream job' and just accept it.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Let's flip the question around and ask why are so many people lazy worthless slugs?

because work sucks. Why else would they pay you to do it?

The less I can work, the more time I have to do things I enjoy. f$*& work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back