Oil recommendations and interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here, book stamping is irrelevant. Well, it might be helpful, but it isn't required in the least for warranty. I've never let a dealer touch my book, much less stamp it, and it has done nothing to affect the OEM warranty. Each time a dealer has said anything to me even hinting at getting oil changes done there, I've made it very clear to them that they will never be touching the drain plug on the oil pan or an oil filter. The same goes for air filters and cabin filters and the like.

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry
I know this topic has been beat to death, but I can't seem to find the answers using search.

Just purchased a 2016 Lexus IS300 F Sport. Calls for 0w20 synthetic oil and 10K mile intervals.
Sump capacity is 6.8 qts. I drive between 15-18K per year with a mix of 20% highway, 50% rural (slower speeds but not a lot of stops), 30% city.
I am a conservative driver.

My questions:
Are all 0W20 synthetic oils created equal. Just purchase a major brand and be done with it? Castrol, Mobil 1, Toyota, Valvoline, etc?
Is the 10K interval realistic or just under optimal conditions?
Should the first oil change be done at 5K or does it not matter?

Thanks

Yes, just purchase a major brand and be done with it. Your manual will tell you the grade oil to use and it will also tell you if 10k is just under "optimal" conditions or severe. I suspect with 6.8 quarts it is just 10K which is just fine.

Its all in your manual, me personally? I have always changed the first oil change 50% sooner rather then later then required but its not required.

Its really amazing how a thread can go so off track it cant be any more simple then what I wrote :eek:)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Even more odd is a member that states with certainty that a warranty will be voided by changing the factory fill too soon.

Any luck finding that in the warranty booklet?

Try reading my posts again as I did not say that, I said you need to use the approved oil and get the free service from the dealer, otherwise the book will not be stamped correctly.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
If an engine uses a special factory fill oil, DO NOT CHANGE IT EARLY, unless your dealer does the job for you.
Otherwise you will invalidate the warranty and might well interfere with the running in of the new block.

OP - you'll be fine doing 10k stints using any major brand 0W-20 - especially w that big sump. Keep it topped off and enjoy your new car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back